Stange Cursor "bfc.png"

Joe_Carrick

I am getting a strange cursor that I don't understand.  Essentially it's the "Select" arrow with the "bfc.png" attached. 

bfc.png

• Does anyone know what that's supposed to mean?
  • What's needed to release it once it shows up?

I know this is supposed to be a "Behavior Indicator" but I don't see it in the Help.  Evidently it's a new one that hasn't been documented.

• Joe_Carrick changed the title to Stange Cursor "bfc.png"

Evidently it's a new one that hasn't been documented.

FYI, this has been in the program since before I started working here.  It was originally put it in when Chief was still running on 16 bit machines and rebuilding floors and ceilings was actually pretty slow.  There is very little reason to ever turn this off these days.

I don't think the program turned this off.  My guess is that you either turned it off accidently or started with a plan that already had it turned off.  You can turn it back on in the 3D View Defaults:

auto bfc.png

33 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Great, so how did those get disabled and what should I do to get them enabled?

Your question is a bit ambiguous, but the second answer (apart fro Dermot's reply) is:

Preferences>Edit>Behaviors>Behavior Indicators

And apart from toggling on Auto Rebuild, you can do it as a one time action at Build>Floor>Rebuild Walls........

Preferences>Edit>Behaviors>Edit Type>Behavior Indicators.

Please don't turn off the behavior indicators in your preferences.  

Most of the time, the better solution is to solve the problem that the behavior indicator is showing.  In Joe's case above, there is no good reason to turn off auto rebuild floors and ceilings and it sounds like he didn't do this on purpose.  Turning off all of the behaviors will just hide the fact that this automatic behavior was accidently turned off.  This can lead to lots of other problems, most of which are much harder to figure out.  

We put the behavior indicators in for a reason.  Turning them off is like disconnecting the Check Engine light in your car.  Sure the light might be annoying but not nearly as bad as having your engine fail when you are driving down the interstate in the middle of the night.

If you find a problem with how the behavior indicators work, then please report it to our tech support team.  If you would like for them to work differently, then please submit a feature request with your ideas.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glennw said:

I wasn't suggesting they be turned off.

On the contrary, Joe asked how to "get them enabled".

I was pointing him to that location.

Except that if it is showing up on Joe's screen then it is already enabled.  But I do think anyone with 10 or more years of professional experience with the software should be able to set the preferences they prefer in the program so I guess I have a few things to submit once I get caught up.

Ok, so I know how to turn things on/off in Preferences. 

Turning off the "Behavior Indicators" is not something I'd recommend since it provides a clue as to what may be a problem. 

What I didn't realize was that:

• Defaults>3D View Defaults>3D Views>"Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings" existed.

I must have unchecked that at some point while refining my defaults on this Plan, thinking incorrectly that it had to do with "Framing".

However, this particular Default Toggle may not be needed in X14 and it really doesn't indicate a condition to correct.

• Should it always be on and not allow users to turn it off ?
  • OTOH, I occasionally see cases where "Auto Rebuild Walls" makes some complex wall intersections difficult to edit and retain.

I'll let Dermot make that decision. ;) 

"Using Input Devices > Pointer Icons" is a strange place to put the definition of "Behavior Indicators" in Help.  I searched for all sorts of terms and didn't find it.  I can only imagine that most users would have the same problem.

IAE, I learned something and next time I'll know. 

Thanks for everyone's help - especially Eric & Dermot.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

"Using Input Devices > Pointer Icons" is a strange place to put the definition of "Behavior Indicators" in Help.  I searched for all sorts of terms and didn't find it.  I can only imagine that most users would have the same problem.

Had the same problems myself , I took a screen grab of it and saved to the Data Folder , as I can never remember the Search terms...

M.