Custom Toolbar Configurations

Joe_Carrick

I've been creating Custom Toolbar Configurations and here's a couple tips:

• You need to add the Configuration to each of the other configurations so you can switch between them
  • New Configurations are automatically given an icon "TB Set" from the "Chief Resources Buttons" Folder

To change the icon to be one of your choice you will need to:

• place your new icon into your current "Toolbar Folder"
  • name the icon to match the name of the new Configuration (exaclty)

The new icon will be used the next time you start Chief.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 12:38 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

You need to add the Configuration to each of the other configurations

Not sure exactly what you mean, but it might be what I am trying to do. If I create custom toolbars in the Default Configuration, how do I make them accessible in other configurations?

33 minutes ago, ga7pilot said:

Not sure exactly what you mean, but it might be what I am trying to do. If I create custom toolbars in the Default Configuration, how do I make them accessible in other configurations?

You cannot.
You can only copy an entire configuration. There is no way to transfer a toolbar to another configuration

Well, I figured out a way, but it's not for the faint of heart.

I closed the program, made a copy then deleted the "Terrain Configuration.toolbar" file, and replaced it with a renamed copy of the "Default Configuration.toolbar" file containing my 18 custom toolbars. I then had to edit the "Terrain Configuration.toolbar" file in a text editor in order to add the code for the Terrain Feature toolbar. I got the code by simply copying and pasting from the previously copied "Terrain Configuration.toolbar" file.

It's working so far. But probably not worth all the trouble for transferring only a few toolbars.

7 hours ago, ga7pilot said:

I closed the program, made a copy then deleted the "Terrain Configuration.toolbar" file, and replaced it with a renamed copy of the "Default Configuration.toolbar" file containing my 18 custom toolbars. I then had to edit the "Terrain Configuration.toolbar" file in a text editor in order to add the code for the Terrain Feature toolbar. I got the code by simply copying and pasting from the previously copied "Terrain Configuration.toolbar" file.

It's working so far. But probably not worth all the trouble for transferring only a few toolbars.

I thought I had opened every chief file with an editor but alas, great trick!!!
This will make it easy for me to transfer toolbars to people!!
Whats even better, you can duplicate a custom library icon with this method as well as keeping an ordered and organize system.
Took me 3 hours by I overhauled all of my icons

13 hours ago, ga7pilot said:

If you have a "Master Toolbar Configuration" with all Toolbars then it's fairly easy to make a copy, rename it and delete all the unwanted Toolbars.  

Yes, you can do this in a text editor but you can also do it in Chief.  

I have my Toolbars in a Dropbox Folder instead of the OOB Folder.  That way I can always go back to the OOB file(s) if needed. I do wish Chief had a way to easily identify what the name of each docked toolbar - maybe by holding the cursor over it.  Right now you have to undock them in order to see the name.