Site plans

winterdd

Just wondering how you guys pull accurate dims on site plans with odd shaped lots. Do you try and pull a dim from the edge of the home to perpendicular or just straight like shown below? I have done both before. I can imagine when a builder stakes out the home it has to be hard on these types.

image.thumb.png.7afe0fcfb0e8b91cf9c8168d630a6405.png

What I usually do (and what I've seen from plot plans prepared by surveyors) is dimension perpendicular to the property lines. For curves, I dimension towards the center point of the circle. 

image.thumb.png.762816916396876ba38fa4352578611b.png

21 minutes ago, LevisL said:

What I usually do (and what I've seen from plot plans prepared by surveyors) is dimension perpendicular to the property lines. For curves, I dimension towards the center point of the circle. 

Very clean site plan! I like your perpendiculars.

20 minutes ago, LevisL said:

Same concept as Levis but if it’s an odd angle and I don’t feel like adding the angles as allowed angles or there are a ton is to use the line tool set to show length and angle.  You can use the make perpendicular tool.  Or use a line perpendicular to run a end to end dimension along but make sure you are not snapping to the line end so you can delete it (or change the line to zero line style after.

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

Same concept as Levis but if it’s an odd angle and I don’t feel like adding the angles as allowed angles or there are a ton is to use the line tool set to show length and angle.  You can use the make perpendicular tool.  Or use a line perpendicular to run a end to end dimension along but make sure you are not snapping to the line end so you can delete it (or change the line to zero line style after.

Good info! I watched the video on importing CAD file surveys into chief and my jaw dropped you can actually do that and it slope the land and everything. This piece of property I am asking about in the thread has insane slope. 

I do perpendicular to property line, and to nearest points to buildings, in order to calculate setback compliance

For surveys with single points, I will also dimension two points on the building to the surveyed point, for two kiddy corner survey points. useful for large parcels, where they just want it put "somewhere around that point there". in other words, they are measuring to the point and not to the PL, when they build, they are none too concerned about inches