Photos and file size

SteveNovato

I have inserted iphone (jpeg) photos into my layout. Four photos, 4 1/2 x 6, have bloated the pdf of the layout file appx. 40,000KB. I have searched this forum and the internet for guidance and have not found what I am looking for. I have tried all of the options (PNG, Jpeg, reduced the quality to 50%, black & white, grayscale) and the photo file size is huge either way. As a last resort, I have reduced the size of the photo box on the layout and reduced the quality to whittle down the file size. 

I would like to know if other have this same experience with photos...or, am I doing something terribly wrong to cause this condition?

Thank you,

Steve

Photo test.layout

1 hour ago, SteveNovato said:

I have inserted iphone (jpeg) photos into my layout. Four photos, 4 1/2 x 6, have bloated the pdf of the layout file appx. 40,000KB. I have searched this forum and the internet for guidance and have not found what I am looking for. I have tried all of the options (PNG, Jpeg, reduced the quality to 50%, black & white, grayscale) and the photo file size is huge either way. As a last resort, I have reduced the size of the photo box on the layout and reduced the quality to whittle down the file size. 

I would like to know if other have this same experience with photos...or, am I doing something terribly wrong to cause this condition?

Thank you,

Steve

Photo test.layout 8.25 MB · 0 downloads

Heya Neighbor, you are using 4K photos, try reducing the resolution of the photo itself before importing

Just a little math to help you see why these pictures take up so much space.

Your pictures are 4032 x 3024 pixels each (and you have 4 of them).

Each pixel has to represent a color value (RGBA) that takes 4 bytes of memory (or disk space if it was stored uncompressed).

This means that each picture takes up 48,771,072 bytes (which is about 46.5 MB).

Your pictures on the layout page are setup to be 4 3/4" x 3 9/16" which is giving you about 848 dpi.  This is more than you need to typical printing.  You can probably drop the image resolution down to 300 dpi (1425 x 1069) or even 150 dpi (712 x 534).  This will take up a lot less memory and disk space.

• Upvote 1

Dermot,

Thanks for the info. I think I have it now... 

Renerabbitt gave me direction, and my daughter told me to put the photos in Word and use the Word compression tool. I was able to insert four slightly larger photos into my layout with a total layout file size of under 12,000 kb.

All I have to do is remember this trick for the next time!