Inset bottom slab of wall cabinets?

Larry_Sweeney

Go to solution Solved by Larry_Sweeney,

I'm trying to figure a way to raise a wall cabinet bottom up inside 1" for under cabinet lighting. I'm having framed inset door cabinets with the bottom of the door going all the way down to the bottom of the cabinet. (no bottom rail on cabinet) I'm using 2" stiles and rails on both the cabinet and door. I would like to show the top side of the bottom slab of the cabinet flush with the top edge of the 2" bottom door rail. Is this possible in CA or a better work around then what I'm doing? So far (work around) the only way I can achieve this is by not having a bottom in the cabinet and manually installing a p-solid bottom once I have the cabinets on the wall. I know this description is quite "wordy", but I hope you understand what I'm explaining.

28 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

replacement applied rear doors, and struck out.  How about a quick vid?

There may still be a vid of a web meeting I did showing an assortment of things inserted into the back of a cabinet to solve problems (back in X9 or 10 not sure if it was recorded or if plan is still there since I ran out of space and deleted a bunch)

In any case here is an example done in stages with the final door symbol on the floor. In this case the biggest issue is  getting it to look right in vector view so there are 3 stages of that. Open each and check how the sides are done.

image.thumb.png.b69216bbe7c99bd91a8dbed3a93bd740.png

Symbol is made from a cabinet, rotate on the Z axis, set the y origin to depth minus 3/4"

image.thumb.png.add72253fb6049bf2c604aaedbf7f2d1.png

I set it to resize about center width and somewhere in center height but lock the depth (which may no longer be necessary? but been doing that way since back in the day so force of habit)image.thumb.png.96cde3ca14c5c827ddf5e2b4bbb98cc2.png

back insert.zip

Mark, I have opened your file, looked at the cab specs in the dialogue boxes, and I guess I am untrained, because I have no idea what is going on, and in particular, what the function of the turned-around doorless cabinet box on the floor is.

5 hours ago, MarkMc said:

There may still be a vid of a web meeting I did showing an assortment of things inserted into the back of a cabinet to solve problems (back in X9 or 10 not sure if it was recorded or if plan is still there since I ran out of space and deleted a bunch)

In any case here is an example done in stages with the final door symbol on the floor. In this case the biggest issue is  getting it to look right in vector view so there are 3 stages of that. Open each and check how the sides are done.

image.thumb.png.b69216bbe7c99bd91a8dbed3a93bd740.png

Symbol is made from a cabinet, rotate on the Z axis, set the y origin to depth minus 3/4"

image.thumb.png.add72253fb6049bf2c604aaedbf7f2d1.png

I set it to resize about center width and somewhere in center height but lock the depth (which may no longer be necessary? but been doing that way since back in the day so force of habit)image.thumb.png.96cde3ca14c5c827ddf5e2b4bbb98cc2.png

back insert.zip 720.15 kB · 1 download

Not faster to set up a cabinet with no top sides or bottom with a shelf set where you want and use delete surfaces tool and make it a door symbol?  

20 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I have no idea what is going on, and in particular, what the function of the turned-around doorless cabinet box on the floor is.

Then just change the rear to be a false door and apply the reversed door symbol as the rear door.

New cabinet would be set to not have a bottom and no separation.  Bottom is actually part of the rear door.

26 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

what the function of the turned-around doorless cabinet box on the floor is.

The turned around box was used to make the door symbol that inserts into the back. The only DBXs to check would be the 3 to the right to see how to get it to look right in vector.

In any case I would not bother.

Why- well ...

My first though when the OP asked was to insert the bottom in the back BUT I decided against that because it would not resize in depth. I've used lots of back insert doors and in many cases, such as back before we could change the interior material and I did it with back inserts and then need multiple often need multiple symbols to make it work. So i used a shelf.

I fiddled with this a bit today while avoiding paperwork :) and worked out a way to get the cabinet box to look right without inserting anything into the back.

BUT it's just too complicated.

If I had to do this I would use the first method I showed and if a door needs to be changed copy the symbol and change two settings- EZ and fast. and zero issues resizing depth or height.

That also leaves the back available for things I would use more often that can only be done using the cabinet back-extend side back, pipe chases and a few accessories I like to put in that way.

image.thumb.png.dde16bc2bc32d7dc9889d22731894ac5.png

On 7/3/2022 at 12:28 PM, MarkMc said:

I fiddled with this a bit today while avoiding paperwork :) and worked out a way to get the cabinet box to look right without inserting anything into the back.

BUT it's just too complicated.

Why?...and don't we only have to do this once and create a style pallet tool from it?