X14

BruceKC

1 hour ago, BruceKC said:

Anyone have major issues with x14?  We want to update but I'm a bit reticent to do so.  Does everyone think it's safe to do so?

Safe...but for me it hasn't been a good experience for productivity. If I could go back I would be still be using X13. Obviously I can't say that you would experience the same performance issues I have, but finding out the hard way sucks.

I'd recommend making a copy of a complete recent plan and layout file, and exploring it in X14 to see if you notice any issues.

X14 runs very smoothly for me.  Absolutely the only ones I have seen complain about it are either using old files that are causing an issue or have nvidia GPU drivers.  X14 has been way more stable than x13 ever was and the efficiency boost with the new tools/features is amazing for my workflow.

Works great for me and I’m on a lowly 2019 MacBook Pro. 

As mentioned above, take care of what you bring in from older versions and update you template. 

I actually use Chief’s X14 template as a starting point and then import layer sets, defaults, etc…. 

Although I’ve barely noticed any issues, when I have on occasion, it’s always been from an older file. 

• Upvote 1

Been fine for me and assistant.

Load it and try it, you can still use older versions. We still have clients on 12 and 13 but moving all to 14 where willing.

I set file association to lowest version using that week/day but sometimes one version or another takes over the file association without asking. To avoid mistakenly saving to wrong version we use a different color scheme for each version.

18 hours ago, rgardner said:

X14 runs very smoothly for me.  Absolutely the only ones I have seen complain about it are either using old files that are causing an issue or have nvidia GPU drivers.  X14 has been way more stable than x13 ever was and the efficiency boost with the new tools/features is amazing for my workflow.

I am currently using my template file in Chief Architect that I started probably way back in X8 or X9.  I keep importing it  into the newer versions and reusing it.  I have had no major issues except for a few quirks when trying to generate a ray-trace.  I am guessing starting a brand new template file from scratch would solve that.

34 minutes ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

I am currently using my template file in Chief Architect that I started probably way back in X8 or X9.  I keep importing it  into the newer versions and reusing it.  I have had no major issues except for a few quirks when trying to generate a ray-trace.  I am guessing starting a brand new template file from scratch would solve that.

Yes that is why Chief doesn't require a new template.  Some templates will work fine from one version to the next.  It has to do with configurations for tools that have changes such as text and dimensioning tools for example where it causes it to slow down as it conflicts with the new settings and has to use the legacy programming.  Or at least that is how I understand it.  I try to test my templates each version but usually even if I don't have any issues I will go and start a new template when public release happens and the stable version comes out with importing old defaults/settings from previous version template.