Help with Arched/Curved Roof

blueriver

Does anyone have a good tutorial on arched roofs?  I have watched Chief's videos on curved roofs but the results I am getting are crazy - on the roof plan it shows a whole roof plane but in 3D I am missing a giant section of the roof and it has graciously given me a 2 story wall.  When i attempted to join the curved plane to the plane above it chopped off part of my overhang (only in 3D), i can edit it but my edits don't actually show up...what in the world is going on??  I have attached some shots of the mess that is my arched roof and a snippet of the plan i saved as "chief help" . 

I'll take any advice! 

Thank You, 

Lauren

X14 (freshly transferred over from 13) Alienware, Windows Chief Help.dwg

roof missing.jpg

side missing.jpg

side.jpg

trim missing.jpg

23 minutes ago, blueriver said:

a snippet of the plan i saved as "chief help"

You will need to upload the plan file not export a dwg.   Make sure you close Chief out before uploading the plan file.

Ryan, uploading a zip file, file was too large.

Eric, I'll give that method a shot, that's similar to a video i found on Chief but replicating it with the arch the other direction didn't look so good.  I will try again!  I was hoping I was missing an easier way somewhere! Chief Help.zip

The architecture in our region has hundreds of homes in this vernacular, and when Chief was able to generate curved roofing, (around 2009) it was literally a gift. I've done many houses over the years with radial roof lines. The attached cottage is a recent one...

The key in working with curved roof section is to find a slope that you like. Write that radius down.

You might ask why... and the answer is that Chief will always start acting up when it comes to editing and connecting curved roofing. Snapping valleys together or joining ridges can result in some interesting behavior with roof planes going off on wild tangents. It happens without fail.

Build the roof without curves, and once everything is positioned nicely... then go back and "curve" them using the desired radius. It should go much better. 

curved roofing.jpg

The more i try the worse it gets :blink::wacko:

Vhampton, I started with that and thought it was going to work!...And then i tried doing it in 2 pieces to help with the connection on my adjoining gable...and got this :mellow:

When i went to join them it gave me this, but when i go to edit the crazy it acts like the crazy part isn't there...but the edits don't actually show.  What.  In.  The.  World.  

roof.jpg

whattheheck.jpg

That's a neat cottage Eric. Nice choice of colors and stone. 

...on the roof oddity, it's hard to explain why curved roof planes will often "ghost" out in plan view and elevation. The key to avoiding strange behavior appears to be in making sure that the breaks are nice and clean on the valleys and ridges. Any edges which aren't 100% parallel have a tendency to go haywire as soon as they get joined. Regarding the joinery, the option to lock the radius to the surface edge appears to be the correct one. (see attached) 

Lauren... if you can upload your file, then maybe it's possible to take a look. I had a similar project with a lower swept roof which merged into a straight upper. Sure enough it was behaving badly at times, but with careful shape shifting, the strange behavior can be controlled. 

Snip20220629_83.png

Snip20220629_84.png