Is it possible to create a deck with a roof?

TonyWed

The answer to the question may seem obvious since the program docs say this is possible but I can't get it working. I tried Home Designer professional first and this created a roof but I couldn't modify the roof it generated. I've been trying to find a photo to illustrate what I'm trying to achieve but the attached photo is the closest I could get.

1917383121_Lockwoodwithdeck.thumb.jpg.4c2dbd9839dc080cabeb7cee86b399af.jpg

It's a single storey home with a mono-pitch roof and the deck goes all of the way along the side of the house. This is what I want but I also want a complete roof (rather than the pergola seen here). The roof should also be a mono-pitch roof but with the high point just below the house roof, sloping the other way. The deck roof would be supported by posts to a beam, but no rails.

I'm looking for some software to help me design the roofed deck and give me a materials list. I though Chief would do all this though Home Designer professional didn't quite make it. I'm happy to rent it for a month to get this done but, so far, with the trial version I can't even get any roof over the deck despite checking the roof over box and trying to set the end "walls" of the deck appropriately for a "shed roof".

As an aside, I also tried to set the pier size in the foundation setting to less than 200mm but it doesn't let me go below that number. Why not? It also doesn't let me set the length of the pier to less than 600mm. Very frustrating, as there is no indication why not and I couldn't find the restriction in the docs.

Naming a space "Deck" automatically leaves the "Ceiling over this room and Roof over this room" check boxes unchecked. Check them and then you can build an autoroof or manual roofs over a deck. Room names are not just "names" but also include some programming commands as well but you can get around that easily.

DJP

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, solver said:

@TonyWed

You have found the forum for the Chief Architect branded products.

Home Designer users have their own forum, HomeTalk, where you will find suggestions based on your software.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

Please delete this thread via Moderator Actions near the top of the page.

Thanks, Solver. However, this is the correct forum, I think. I said I tried Home Designer but couldn't modify the roof the way I wanted. So I'm trying the trial version of Chief Architect to see it that can do the job.

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

Naming a space "Deck" automatically leaves the "Ceiling over this room and Roof over this room" check boxes unchecked. Check them and then you can build an autoroof or manual roofs over a deck. Room names are not just "names" but also include some programming commands as well but you can get around that easily.

DJP

Thanks DJP. I thought I was doing all of that but I started again, keeping in mind what you wrote. I did eventually manage to get a roof, sort of. The key may have been to not attach the deck to the house but make it a separate structure. I also removed the "invisible" check mark. However, putting a roof on actually removed part of the roof and wall of the house and I couldn't seem to get the right number of posts to the beam. There were many other issues which I think will take me too long to solve to make this a viable program. Meaning no disrespect to the product, which looks pretty good for the house design, I thought it was an architect grade product, at the main selling price, but it doesn't appear to have the flexibility I expected.

I may have to resort to pencil and paper! Thanks for the responses. Adding a screenshot of where I got to, as context.1532333178_Deckingdesign.thumb.png.aeb488df39eed6472462cfe5857e777b.png

As a long time user, along with the other long time users who have commented, what you are asking Chief to accomplish is a very, easy task especially for long time users. I also remember when I first started using Chief (over 20 years ago) and I was really confused by the way it worked and it took a bit of time to understand its paradigm. I've posted a plan for your review to help your understanding of Chief's ways and methods. Doesn't change the advice from above that suggests you dig in and learn Chief but rest assured it can handle most any design challenge we can throw at it.ROOF PLAN.plan

1309084177_ROOFPLAN.plan

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

The roof generation tools of Home Designer Pro and Chief Interiors and Chief Premier are precisely the same-no differences at all.

Sorry David but that is not true.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/blog/chief-architect-premier-vs-interiors/ https://cloud-hd.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/product-info/compare-chief-architect-to-home-designer-pro.pdf

I will agree that Home Designer Pro can do the roof the OP is asking for but there are actually quite a few differences for the roof tools between the three products.

Wow, thanks for all of the comments. I've used various home design software and taken time to learn to use them reasonably well. I've designed many homes (though only a couple have been built) over the years but haven't had the need to do anything for several years. I now wanted to get a quick design just for a rear deck/verandah and front porch, on an existing house. I don't have a huge amount of time to learn to use this powerful tool, which I'm sure could do the job, if I had the time. Maybe I will, in the end, but I think I'll have to resort to pencil and paper to get some quotes for the work.

Thanks to HumbleChief for doing that mock-up. It shows that's it's probably possible, even if the roof has to be done separately, though that mock-up had a flat roof that I wasn't quickly able to modify. It is similar to the photo in the OP but that wasn't quite what I was after, as I explained there.

I'm always changing my mind so, you never know, I may come back to this with Chief Architect.

Thanks, again.