Avast Virus Protection App..... What Do I Do

dshall

Some time in the past 2 weeks I have contracted a digital virus....  or my 'puter has.  I  am running AVAST SECURITY right now.  It may take another 2 hours to finish.  Apparently I have 2 infections so far.  Once this this gets thru running,  I am not sure what I should do.

Would somebody mind doing a GOTOMEETING with me and taking a look at my computer and advise me.  Hopefully it will take less than 5 minutes and I can record and post to help somebody else out.

I think it should be done snooping out the virus by 9:00 am pst.  Would anybody be available sometime around then,  (I have an online appt.  until 9:00 at the latest).  

Let us know how Avast did (do you have the free version or paid?). I run several programs that I bought that have kept me virus and malware free since 1999 ( I hate that @$#%&).

The best program I have used to date is called "Spy Hunter" it is expensive but very thorough.

DJP

It should run anyway I think Scott but in Avast's Tools Menu Run the Browser cleaner app anyway to be sure

Avast is a good Anti Virus but at least in windows  (for me) it's Web Rep Browser Addon causes IE to crash ,took me months to figure out what was causing it but no issues once removed. ( if you also use Avira Free ,they will remove each others web Browser addon saying it is bad too :)  but don't think Avira is on Mac )

you should look at a dedicated Malware Program too to work along side Avast being it is Malware causing your issue not a virus perse. Malwarebytes is good in Windows with a free or paid version but I don't know the Mac EcoSystem at all.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I had a computer tech tell me to use the free version and only use the boot time scan.  I run it overnite so I don't have to deal with it in the daytime.  So far it has worked out well for me, but I do have a few issues that I would like to clean up.  I use Avast "free version" and Malware bytes "free version".  The problem I am having is that I have a system optimizer that I can not get rid of, and also add ons "pop ups" to internet explorer that will not go away.

I don't have anything for pop up blocking, that is what I will look into next.  Pop ups are very annoying, and the optimizer slows my system way down, not good.  Any suggestions about how to deal with these issues would be appreciated.

Those pop ups can be plug-ins in IE. You can usually remove them within IE but they also could reside in the services section, or the Registry. You can also remove them, but you should be confidant you are removing the correct files or don't try that. There is a pop-up blocker in IE.

you aren't "using" Avast if you only let it bootscan for Rootkits and Viruses , let it run in realtime as it should... 

did you read post #9 ?  Cleaning the Browser should help with that , if not try Malwarebytes , then try HitmanPro next.

Turning on the popup blocker in IE means you have to RC a lot of links online but it does help  stop "ambush" type websites  from immediately loading a 2nd page via a popup and downloading Malware to your Comp. when you click on an interesting Google Link.

You have to be Proactive these days , and Macs are no longer immune to this stuff since the OS is now big enough to make it worth while for these @#$%$#@  to go to the trouble.

And stay off sites with "FREE" TV shows and movies ......cleaning up a friend's laptop right now ..Malwarebytes found 432 "problems" on the 1st run !  :)

M.

Keep in mind that most Antivirus companies goes too far with their Virus protection and in many cases they classify completely legit software as infection, and these are simple  false positive alerts. If you have popups or your browser gets hijacked most likely you caught some Malware and antivirus programs suck at catching them, so you can use free tools like Adware-Removal-Tool,HiJackThis tool,CCleaner, etc there is also tools you pay for which are only $20 some  which do a real good job.

Keep in mind that most Antivirus companies goes too far with their Virus protection and in many cases they classify completely legit software as infection, and these are simple  false positive alerts. If you have popups or your browser gets hijacked most likely you caught some Malware and antivirus programs suck at catching them, so you can use free tools like Adware-Removal-Tool,HiJackThis tool,CCleaner, etc there is also tools you pay for which are only $20 some  which do a real good job.

All good info , but don't rely on one product to "do it all"  as Java said its more likely to be Malware or a Hijack these days  so make sure you run tools for Malware too , other good ones Java didn't mention and all free ,especially if you are infected are adwcleaner, roguekiller, JRT (junkware removal Tool) , TDSSKiller, Rkill Malware Killer , however do a little reading , some of these tools are powerful .

Malwarebytes Pro will run full time unlike the free version and is currently $24.95 for 3 computers.....

(no affiliation)

M.