Eve Overhand Missing Soffit

Evolution

I am SURE my CONTINUAL coming is TIRING to most of YOU (although I hope NOT) but built the roof manually for the summer house, everything looked ok, but when doing a 3D rotating up to look at the eave I found a place with no soffit or reverse surface??? Don't know why this happened as I had no problem modelling the roof. I can't find anything that addresses any similar situation.

I'm really NOT helpless, the learning curve is tough on X6!

post-1662-0-86821500-1421538394_thumb.png

post-1662-0-31189100-1421538409_thumb.png

Pull the short wall below it back a few feet and see what happens.

Eric, that was one of the things I looked at when trying to find what caused it. What I might have changed prior to drawing the roof? I backed up several steps but can't find it.

I pulled the wall back as you suggested but no dice! It appears to be the underside of what would be the OSB underlayment of the roof.

These CRAZY anomalies that keep popping up MAY just do me in! NOT!!

I couldn't grab it in 3D, but in plan I tired to drag the selected soffit to connect with the other edge, and it grew wider. I looked closer at the ridge and found I didn't have ridge cap although the roof planes look connected. An even closer look taken and it looks as if the ridge is slightly askew-so I tried making the roof planes parallel with the building walls (that's how I did it in the first place) by selecting each roof plane separately, using the make parallel tool, clicking on the wall the roof plane bares on, but nothing has changed.

I suppose I AM the only person that has these kind of anomalies?

post-1662-0-55066000-1421547012_thumb.png

Well, I am pretty sure it is the unusual angle of the summer house (102 degrees) that's causing the issue. The roof is definitely "scewed" over the walls.

A close up of the roof planes and measurement of overhang shows the roof planes are not parallel with the walls. I tried several ways to get them parallel, but no luck so far. I opened the polyline opened dbx found the line angle, and it was off .042222. I set it's angle to match the wall angle, it hasn't worked so far!

Bob,

You probably need to make the ridges parallel to a correct wall or gutter as those settings only apply to that particular roof edge - not the whole roof. 

Much easier to try and do auto roofs - probably with some manual tweaking.

ERIC, I did DO the Join roof planes, and got the error message that basically said it couldn't be done, add a break something or so on. I deleted the roof plane then I did the auto roof and it fixed it but that messed up the roof on the lake house.

I am back to square one. I have been all the way back through every room (in the lake house plan) trying to fix that roof.On the main floor I set all the rooms that have 10' ceilings the same and double checked. I checked the great room to make sure it was still at 14'. I even made ALL the roof pitches the same. The results are posted on my original roof help post with the updated plan.

Bob:

since I am NOT an expert with roofs

in fact - can barely get beyond the basics

I rely on auto-roofs - most manual tweaks and more are done by my partner/friend

so this is why I create any separate buildings in a separate plan

then make 3D symbols of them and place the symbol(s) in the master plan

this keeps these out-buildings from messing with the main building settings

it also allows for using auto-gen for the roofs

and being able to make roof and foundation changes etc

wiithout messing with the main building settings

some of the experts say it can all be done in one plan

maybe so for experts ....

Lew

lbuttery, on 17 Jan 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

Bob:

since I am NOT an expert with roofs

in fact - can barely get beyond the basics

I rely on auto-roofs - most manual tweaks and more are done by my partner/friend

so this is why I create any separate buildings in a separate plan

then make 3D symbols of them and place the symbol(s) in the master plan

this keeps these out-buildings from messing with the main building settings

Thanks Lew! I remember you saying that a few times before on the OLD HD home talk forum.

it also allows for using auto-gen for the roofs

and being able to make roof and foundation changes etc

wiithout messing with the main building settings

some of the experts say it can all be done in one plan

maybe so for experts ....

Lew

DRAWZILLA, on 18 Jan 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

I can see in your pic that the ridge's at the gable end's are not aligned exactly, they are offset from each other just a little bit. Try to align the roof planes with an exact dim.

Perry, that's how I discovered the problem. But I did an auto build on the summer house roof, that IT is fixed, but the main (lake house) roof is still a mess from the last auto roof build. I have saved that last plan even with the foundation problems created from adding the summer house to the mix of things.

I am attempting to Manually adjust those roof planes but there are SO MANY lines to look at it's hard to figure out what to delete/modify. I have turned some of the layers off, but so far it is still a bit confusing to look at!

I went back to one of SCOTT's roof videos, (HE MAKES IT LOOK SO SIMPLE) and am trying to figure out what display items he turns off. HE moves so fast and I move SO slow!