Auto story pole elevation pickups

GeneDavis

I've a front elevation and did the auto story pole thing.  There are some things I don't understand.

Why do elevations above the zero (equals floor 1 rough floor) display in feet inches fractions, but below in inches fractions. 

My plan has only two plate heights.  The side wings have everything at 10'-0".  The center bay scissors trusses stand on walls for which the framing plate height was manually set at 16'-6 3/4".  There seems to be no way to pick up that elevation with the auto story pole command.  Why?

As seen in the dimensioned building section, there's a loft floor (floor 2) for which the rough floor elevation is 12'-0".  I have the percentage reach set to get to that floor, but the story pole result does not include that elevation.  Why?

The auto story pole results picked up a plate height of 21' something, but there is no plate there at all.  Where does it get its plate heights?

2022-06-20 12_31_43-Window.png

2022-06-20 12_32_59-Window.png

2022-06-20 12_34_20-Window.png

2022-06-20 12_47_38-Window.png

6 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

1. Why do elevations above the zero (equals floor 1 rough floor) display in feet inches fractions, but below in inches fractions. 

2. My plan has only two plate heights.  The side wings have everything at 10'-0".  The center bay scissors trusses stand on walls for which the framing plate height was manually set at 16'-6 3/4".  There seems to be no way to pick up that elevation with the auto story pole command.  Why?

3. As seen in the dimensioned building section, there's a loft floor (floor 2) for which the rough floor elevation is 12'-0".  I have the percentage reach set to get to that floor, but the story pole result does not include that elevation.  Why?

4. The auto story pole results picked up a plate height of 21' something, but there is no plate there at all.  Where does it get its plate heights?

1. perhaps I missed it but I don't see this in your pics?  so you may need to markup the pic.......

2. Probably because you did it manually is my guess , in case like that I add a Marker or CAD line to snap a new Elev. too.

3. Possibly Chief is not seeing that area as a 2nd level?   and again in cases like that I add a Marker or CAD line to snap a new Elev. too and move on...

4. Is it finding the Ceiling Height in that portion?   you should be able to click the dimension line and look for the diamond it has snapped to something...

Mick.

In the pic I snapped of what the auto story pole thing did, the elevation of the top of foundation, basement floor, and top of foundation are shown in inches, not feet-inches.  Above elevation are shown as feet-inches.  Why the diff?

My manually dimensioned section shows the second floor rough elevation.  It also shows the bearing wall plate height the center bay trusses stand on.

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

In the pic I snapped of what the auto story pole thing did, the elevation of the top of foundation, basement floor, and top of foundation are shown in inches, not feet-inches.  Above elevation are shown as feet-inches.  Why the diff?

My manually dimensioned section shows the second floor rough elevation.  It also shows the bearing wall plate height the center bay trusses stand on.

I guess I was looking at the Cross Section ( pic 1) and not the full Elevation ( Pic 4 ) .......  it's always easier to see things if you use the snipping tool pen to highlight issues or mention the pic no#

What does your Marker Format show under "Display as Inches"

image.thumb.png.7d122384ce77777eb81f275a203f9301.png

32 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

What does your Marker Format show under "Display as Inches"

image.thumb.png.7d122384ce77777eb81f275a203f9301.png

What Mick said! 

Keep in mind that a negative value is less than 18" (as shown in the image above) so any elevation below Zero will display as inches. 

Have a look in your dimension defaults and/or search Help for Primary Format Panel.

337716567_ScreenShot2022-06-21at1_49_34pm.thumb.jpg.4cefaa178a468a11c9d9cbc2e072aa21.jpg

• Check Display as Inches to display the dimension number of sufficiently short segments in inches rather than the Unit selected above. This option is only available when the specified Unit is a form of either feet or yards, or a format that includes feet.
  • The Less than or equal to value specifies how short a segment must be before its number uses inches rather than the specified Unit.