Wall Under Stair Disappears When Railing Is Added.

ACADuser

Go to solution Solved by i4HomeDesign,

I've been fighting with the closet under the first floor stair.

I used cable railing so I needed a railing wall that follows the stair. Don't know of another way to accomplish that.

So when I add one or the other the existing wall is removed.

Plan attached.

FYI

I am using the electrical layer SET to mess with stair as in floor plan layer the stair are turned off & I use CAD lines to represent the stair.

post-2435-0-47752600-1421418359_thumb.png

MacDill TH-Unit A.plan

I spent a lot of time awhile back experimenting with cable rails on stairs and never did like the fact that things just didn't seem to work with them the way I expected them to.  You should, IMO, be able to assign a cable rail style for the "stairs" railing and have it build/display correctly.  My experience is that it won't work that way ... the cables end up vertical.  I don't recall if the example I was previously working with included a wall under the edge of the stairs to create an enclosure.

You might do a thread search and see what you can find.  This bridge may have been crossed by someone prior to you, in the event you don't get a reply from one of our stairs gurus fairly soon.  You might end up having to use a cable rail symbol on the edge of your stairs in order to keep your wall under the stairs.

Sorry for the layer confusion. I meant  Layer SET.

In the floor plan Layer set the Stair is off so if you investigate the plan use the Electrical layer Set to view the stairs in plan view.

Because with the Floor Plan Layer Set all you see are CAD lines representing the stair & railings.

Alan,
I assume the original questions was about the wall below.

This may be a round about fix but I have found that often it is easier to make a symbol of the railing and add it to the stairs.

That way you can keep the wall below and have the railing independent.

The problem with this is that it is some extra running around.

I will try to show you what I mean I just need some time. 

With the plan that you sent, is that exactly the style you are desiring your railing to have?

Alan

If it is the walls you want to see under the stair, and still want to see the stair on the floor plan, open the stair dbx, under the fill tab, choose no fill, and it will show the steps AND the wall under, if you have a quater landing, that fill will have to turn off too.

If you don't want to see the solid line of the stair, you can switch the stair's cad line to dotted or whatever you want too, trouble is ALL stair will be shown that way on all floors.

Frank

Thanks for the advise Frank but I think I tried all the work arounds for correct plan view & none work on this project except to draw the stair with CAD lines. So much for automated drawings. :)

See the attached section view.  makes the floor area on the 2nd floor look smaller due to top of 2nd flight showing in plan view.

post-2435-0-35068300-1421447062_thumb.png

Monte,

Just tried your railing & worked great.

I've been putting out fires all day on other jobs and just got back to this one.

How did you make the object? 

I assume you have to make one for every stair because of the varying slope and spacing.

I pasted it on the 2nd flight and the existing railing disappeared. Is it considered a Railing Object?

I was able to stretch the one on the 2nd floor & looks OK.

Thanks for the solution. :)

• Solution

Alan,

I am glad it worked for you.  I wasn't sure if I miss understood the question or not.

I find as soon as I try to line up wall underneath a railing it is hit or miss (most often miss) if it works.  I have defaulted to doing it this way for a while now. 

Steps to create object. I used your plan (this way the stair height was already determined.  I went and put that one railing on a different "Wall, Railing 2" layer.  I then went to "All off" Layer set.  Made sure everything was off, tweaked the rail post height from 36 to 37" so that the rail connected the post.  At this point all I see in the 3d view is that one rail. (this is where I took the image of the railing that I posted.  With only that railing showing I went and Tools, Symbol, Convert to Symbol option.  Clicked advanced options, gave it a name and voila its in your library.

Oh yes, it is just an symbol like the other symbols in our libraries.  If you are often using the same railing it is useful to make 5 or 6 options of the railing for different stair lengths.  That way you don't have to do it every time.  Then by stretching and pulling you can make some prebuilt ones often fit into a plan.

Glad I could help.