Length in x'-x"

joey_martin

1 minute ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

How difficult would that have been to have the programmers include it as a toggle or option in the label's dbx? 

It's obviously extremely difficult. What other explanation could there be? 

• Downvote 1

On 6/16/2022 at 12:44 PM, robdyck said:

Thanks to Eric @solver for giving out this macro as a starting point!

Here are a few I frequently use. You can place these in a label, or in a Custom Object Field which will allow them to be added to a schedule.

ft_in_height.json 619 B · 14 downloads ft_in_length.json 615 B · 14 downloads ft_in_width.json 617 B · 14 downloads

Thanks Robert....... And Eric of course :)

M.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, robdyck said:

Thanks to Eric @solver for giving out this macro as a starting point!

Here are a few I frequently use. You can place these in a label, or in a Custom Object Field which will allow them to be added to a schedule.

ft_in_height.json 619 B · 20 downloads ft_in_length.json 615 B · 19 downloads ft_in_width.json 617 B · 20 downloads

On 6/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, robdyck said:

You may contact @Alaskan_Son for more number formatting macros. I have some that he kindly offered for free on the forum quite a while back.

Thanks for the plug Robert.  Actually, the first 3 you posted were all created using one of my macros. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, Archnot-Boltz said:

How difficult would that have been to have the programmers include it as a toggle or option in the label's dbx?

To give everyone what they want, the label dialog would have to look identical to the Format tab of the dimension dialog and each and every part of a label would need to have access to those settings as well since any given portion of a label might need to be formatted differently.  I think building this type of behavior into the label would be totally unreasonable if not entirely unworkable. 

On 6/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, robdyck said:

ft_in_height.json 619 B · 22 downloads ft_in_length.json 615 B · 22 downloads ft_in_width.json 617 B · 22 downloads

I wrote that several years ago prior to Chief creating the NumberFormatter class, so there are currently more robust ways; however, here's a very special improved version of that same older system you're already using set up in such a way that you can use a single macro anywhere you want for all 3 scenarios plus others.  Simply import the attached macro and then in your label, place the following:

If you want feet and inches;

%macros.my_nf.ft_in(number, rounding precision)%

If you want inches only;

%macros.my_nf.ft_in(number, rounding precision)%

So, for @joey_martin's example, if he wanted the framing member length displayed in feet and inches rounded to the nearest 1/8", he would put %macros.my_nf.ft_in(length, 8)%

For @MZLehman's example, he would put %macros.my_nf.ft_in(length, 1)%

And for @robdyck's 3 examples he would put %macros.my_nf.ft_in(height, 8)%, %macros.my_nf.ft_in(length, 8)%, and %macros.my_nf.ft_in(width, 8)%

Again, the NumberFormatter class is more robust and a similar system could be set up for that class as well, but this is a pretty simple and easy to use solution for simple feet and fractional inch formatting on the fly and it doesn't require placing any initiating macros into your views.  I'll leave it here for free for a bit:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2