How to archive revisions to drawings

myrtsbnye

Hello all,

I work for an architect who likes to make numerous revisions, options, etc (I get paid by the hour so I say bring it on). She would like each one saved and labeled in case the client wants to go back to an old version (For example I have 52 plan files for a home we just completed). Problem I have is this is very cumbersome and nonefficient. Also, every time I rename a file I have to redo the layout file. With all the online videos on the Chief website and youtube I can't find help with this...I assume I am not asking the correct questions to find what I am looking for. I have looked for file management.

Where should I look? 

Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, myrtsbnye said:

Problem I have is this is very cumbersome and nonefficient. Also, every time I rename a file I have to redo the layout file.

You can relink the Layout to the new  RENAMED .Plan File easily enough , though I am not sure if that is well documented?

however if you have 52 plan files ie Rev.1 - Rev.52 then do you need a Layout Revision for Each Plan File too? 

relinking the Layout :

image.thumb.png.0ededa2fbb3914cd3d23a4457a82d7fc.png  image.thumb.png.22084779d8d33bdfd8092f76394f5e84.png

I personally use the same plan name for all so they don’t have to be delinked.  Just duplicate your folder and give the folder newest date.  Inside you have your house as built new and layout files with the same name.

I.E.  I am working on a large addition for client Morales. 

Job folder 2022_Morales Addition > Plans > CA > 20220615_Morales Addition:

inside that folder I have 2022_Morales AB.plan 2022_Morales New.plan and 2022_Morales.layout files 

next revision the folder gets duplicated and renamed with the current date.  Chief will look at the same folder for the plan first so it won’t unlink.  

2 hours ago, myrtsbnye said:

Also, every time I rename a file I have to redo the layout file.

If you want to save files as backups, rename the backups, not the main file! 

When I need a backup file saved I will rename the backup file by adding the date or drawing issue # to the back of the file name.

Often, I'll also add a 'z' to the beginning so it drops to the bottom of the file list.

Lots of different ways to handle it.

I do not get to 52 revisions. Here is how I do it.

Plan number 2400.

Layout and plan are named 2400 

If I make a revision or option, I save plan 2400 as 2400 - 1, exit and go back to 2400 and make the changes.

If I have to make another revision, I save 2400 as 2400 - (next number), exit and go make changes to 2400.

If you ever have to go back to another version. Save 2400 as 2400 - (next number) 

Then go into old version, and save as 2400

This method keeps plan 2400 as current plan and all the revisions as - (version Number in order).

I rarely change the layout specific to a plan version. however if I need to then Save 2400 - (version Number) layout file 

This has worked for me well and keeps me from having to guess what plan file is the current version.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1