Can you create a Dimension between CAD circles that updates when circles move?

tbrummel

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

Challenge: Draw two CAD circles.  Now get a dimension line that connects the centers of the circles. Great - now move one of the circles and things go south. 

The dimension line keeps its global rotation and measures the distance between the circles' projected centers onto the original dimension line.  I can see how someone might want to know this - but what I want is to have the dimension line always directly connect the centers of the circles and tell me the (shortest) distance between those centers.  I scoured through setting and properties for the dimension line and I'm coming up empty handed.   Anyone know how to do this?

As an aside, I was thinking I could work around the problem by connecting the circles with a CAD line -- but I found out that doesn't work either.  I can't seem to connect a CAD line to the centers of the CAD circles and have it stay attached to those centers when the circles are moved around.  

Any help appreciated.   

Sorry if this wasn't clear.  I'll add pictures below.

What I want is to have the dimension line always directly connect the centers of the circles and tell me the (shortest) distance between those centers.

Here's the start - we have a dimension (manual in this case) between to CAD circles.  Nice.

CAD1.thumb.jpg.ce01a946815cbc7b635db6a8549f91ed.jpg

Now, I move one of the circles and what I want is this:

CAD2.thumb.jpg.4d2cc06edf45fd6f8a7f40d7bb9e386a.jpg

However, what I get, is this:

CAD3.thumb.jpg.1127af884b225adf48fa46bad086502f.jpg

• Solution
14 hours ago, tbrummel said:

by connecting the circles with a CAD line -- but I found out that doesn't work either.  I can't seem to connect a CAD line to the centers of the CAD circles and have it stay attached to those centers when the circles are moved around.  

This will work IF you add Arrows to both ends of the Line ...and turn on length to get the Dim.

image.thumb.png.3de55e469d4927c5fe614c3f93c8dea7.png  image.thumb.png.352561fdd4545c904f91db502317db44.png

Mick

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Do you also need to have Arc Centers and Ends on?

I didn't try it with them off , I usually have in on in my Template............. , but would of thought 

that in this case it wasn't an issue , since I think that is the intent....

*** Okay tried it and yes they stay attached........... at least in X14.......

image.thumb.png.4d3ac0a10810c3b42cbba593ab862376.png

M.

@Kbird1 Wow!  I would never have looked at "Arrow" config for actual behavior settings!  Thanks!  I see the arrow config on a measurement line is just what I'd expect -- how should the arrow look.  On CAD lines, it's a whole different story.  This makes CAD lines VERY useful now as configurable measuring tools.  

@solver The Arc Centers and Ends controls the display of the center, but that's not necessary in order to snap to the center of the CAD circle.  Snapping is controlled by the snap settings which show with the extended toolbar config.  Those snap settings might be configurable somewhere else as well but I just use the toolbar.

Thanks for your help guys!

9 minutes ago, rwdozier said:

Really cool!! Works with standard polylines as well....

image.thumb.png.3a7864d54a18b3b800e7c3c315e74aba.png

Chief's Dimension tools can be real finicky at times on what they will and wont snap too so I have been using CAD lines with arrows

for some time now in certain situations and figured it might work for this as well.

6 minutes ago, tbrummel said:

@Kbird1 Wow!  I would never have looked at "Arrow" config for actual behavior settings!  Thanks!  I see the arrow config on a measurement line is just what I'd expect -- how should the arrow look.  On CAD lines, it's a whole different story.  This makes CAD lines VERY useful now as configurable measuring tools.  

• Like 1