Structural Steel Shop Drawings

Chiefuserodd

Go to solution Solved by Gawdzira,

Good day everyone.

The learning curve is tedious today.  I've spent hours so far just trying to teach myself how to draw structural steel connections for the steel fabricator.  I've downloaded a Steel Library from Chief's online library.  Now I'm trying to use CAD along with the library to fashion dwgs to show connections, welds, holes, etc.  I've spent a couple of hours sifting through Chief tutorial videos as well as the forum to try to find answers to below questions/challenges. Thanks in advance for your input.

1.  I can't seem to figure out how to draw holes that penetrate the steel I Beams.

2.  I was hoping there was perhaps a library that had typical steel connections along with dimensions that I could tailor the dimensions to my needs.

Cheers,

Todd

I just figured out the hole in the steel beam challenge.  Create a cylinder in CAD and place it to the desired location then use the subtract material function.   On to challenge number two.   I would be appreciative if anyone knows of a steel connection library.

Thanks again for your time.

Update on steel shop dwgs.

Well I'm still at it and still on my first dwg for the first of probably 20 pcs of steel to draw.  Hopefully learning curve pays off and time for each dwg reduces.  

Anyhow, I'm currently trying to figure out how to show the lower flange of the beam I've drawn.  I know I can do it with a 3D view but I'd like to use the 2D option for dimensioning and adding text.  Any idea how to show a cut through on the vertical axis of the beam in order to show the web and lower flange?  Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Odd

Village Idiot

x13 User

SULLIVAN STEEL SHOP DWGS.pdf

11 minutes ago, Chiefuserodd said:

Update on steel shop dwgs.

Well I'm still at it and still on my first dwg for the first of probably 20 pcs of steel to draw.  Hopefully learning curve pays off and time for each dwg reduces.  

Anyhow, I'm currently trying to figure out how to show the lower flange of the beam I've drawn.  I know I can do it with a 3D view but I'd like to use the 2D option for dimensioning and adding text.  Any idea how to show a cut through on the vertical axis of the beam in order to show the web and lower flange?  Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Odd

Village Idiot

x13 User

SULLIVAN STEEL SHOP DWGS.pdf 39.27 kB · 1 download

Try a cross section through the beam and use a cad detal from view to get the view of the beam.  Then you can detail it there.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your feedback.  I tried to do a cross section but am only able to do it as a profile cross section.  I hope that makes sense.  I really want to use the cross section slider tool in the vertical application so I can "dive" below the top flange in order to show and dimension the stiffener plates and holes in the lower flange. Unfortunately the cross section slider isn't an option when I am in the plan view tab.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Cheers,

Odd

Village Idiot

Chief x13 user

Windows computer.