Walls not aligning

myrtsbnye

Hello all,

I have an issue with one house plan. Whenever I try to align a wall with the wall above (or from the other floor..the wall below) the walls do not align. When I try to align the wall on the main floor with the wall in the basement the main floor wall is aligned with the center of the foundation wall. If I try from the foundation the main floor wall is almost aligned with the inside edge of the concrete wall. This is strange considering I have used the same wall types on other plans with no issues at all. The walls are nontypical as main flor wall is 2"x6" with rigid insulation and stone veneer, the foundation is ICF with stone veneer. The 2"x6" studded wall is the main layer of the foundation wall and the concrete portion of the ICF is the main layer of the foundation.

Any help will be appreciated.

I realize nobody reads the manual but it’s the first place to start, actually…

Click on the Align With Wall Above alignwithwallabove.png?1626383786 or Align With Wall Below alignwithwallbelow.png?1626383786 edit button.

By default, walls on different floors are aligned by the outer edges of their Main Layers when using the Align edit tools. In most circumstances, the Main Layer should be specified as the structural layer of the wall, particularly when the wall is a framed type.

If you do not want the walls to align based on the outer edges of their Main Layers, instead of using the edit tools, use the Reference Display as a guide and manually move the walls to the position you want them to be, relative to the floor above or below.

Thanks Michael, yes I should "dust off" the manual. I did end up using construction lines and they did work great.

On another note, in two weeks my family and I will be in Montreal. The kids want to go to La Ronde, I want to go to Rueben's for a smoked meat sandwich.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
33 minutes ago, KeithLDobson said:

I am new to 14, I am trying to align walls..all of the information says to use "Align with upper/lower edit button"  I have searched high and low and cannot find the edit button for this function to add to my tool bar.  Does anyone know where it is at?

Best to start your own question.  But to answer your question once you have one of the walls selected that button will show up in the edit toolbar (specific to the selected item).  Note this will only happen if the wall above or below is within a certain distance (within the general main layer window) or slightly off of being linearly aligned.

2 hours ago, KeithLDobson said:

Does anyone know where it is at?

As Ryan mentioned it doesn't show if the Walls are Aligned or more than about there own width OFF ( seems wider in X14 to me ) Otherwise Chief assumes the misalignment is done on purpose .....if you nudge the wall over with the arrow keys the icon will appear when it's "within range" of the auto align tool.

M

On 6/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, myrtsbnye said:

Hello all,

I have an issue with one house plan. Whenever I try to align a wall with the wall above (or from the other floor..the wall below) the walls do not align. When I try to align the wall on the main floor with the wall in the basement the main floor wall is aligned with the center of the foundation wall. If I try from the foundation the main floor wall is almost aligned with the inside edge of the concrete wall. This is strange considering I have used the same wall types on other plans with no issues at all. The walls are nontypical as main flor wall is 2"x6" with rigid insulation and stone veneer, the foundation is ICF with stone veneer. The 2"x6" studded wall is the main layer of the foundation wall and the concrete portion of the ICF is the main layer of the foundation.

Any help will be appreciated.

--------------------

Hey there!

This is a layers issue.  Something I wish @ChiefArchitect would address in future released.  It would be awesome, to have the ability to offset walls in specific applications.

One wall type I often run into is the split wall for a walk-out for example.  Concrete at the base and framed siding but the way I have my typical framed siding wall set up the 'align main layers' will put the exterior face of my framing in line with the concrete; which isn't how we build it here in Illinois (we typically build with the exterior face of the plywood aligned with the exterior face of the concrete wall.)

Because of this, I have to create a copy of my 2x framing siding wall and move the plywood down, into the 'main layer' category'.  Creating a copy makes sure my other walls build the way I want them to and don't get adjusted per the new walls perimeters.  The align main layer function will then work properly.

Although your situation is a little different, I wonder if it's a similar situation with your wall layers.