Are Driveways, Roads, and Sidewalks polyline solids

NealFlora

Trying to add some Driveways and Walkways to my plan. 

After googling I was unable to find a clear explanation on using the Driveway and Sidewalk tools to accomplish what I need.  I got to thinking that Driveways and Sidwalks are really just polyline solds so my thought was to use a Line, create the driveway and walkways with the curves I need, then convert to Polyline solid.  Am I on the right track?

Keeping in mind that my plan is just to produce a rendering.

SitePlan_Chief.jpg

17 minutes ago, NealFlora said:

Am I on the right track?

What I do is convert to road perimeter for roads and/or terrain feature.  I start with lines and p-lines, of course.

The sticky part is sometimes the curb doesn't always play nice when connecting to other terrain features when the curb is turned on.

I sometimes have to resort to 3d molding polylines for curbs in those situation.

Either way, your logic is correct, and so much easier and flexible.

6 hours ago, NealFlora said:

I got to thinking that Driveways and Sidwalks are really just polyline solds

Roads, Driveways and Sidewalks are not really just polyline solids.

They are terrain objects that may interact with the terrain data so as to maintain a flat surface over their top surface.

ie, they cut and fill the terrain in cross section.

It can depend on how they were created.

When you convert a closed polyline to a Road (Perimeter) it does not cut and fill the terrain - it follows the terrain like a terrain feature.

When you convert a line to a Road (Center Line) it will cut and fill the terrain.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The issue I face is figuring out how to make the driveway (and Walkway) curved as in the image I sent.  When I place a driveway using the Terrain tools, nothing seems to work to cause the driveway to curve as in the Image.  Somewhere I read a CTRL (or ALT) key will allow curving of driveways but that does not appear to work.

1 hour ago, NealFlora said:

The issue I face is figuring out how to make the driveway (and Walkway) curved as in the image I sent.  When I place a driveway using the Terrain tools, nothing seems to work to cause the driveway to curve as in the Image.  Somewhere I read a CTRL (or ALT) key will allow curving of driveways but that does not appear to work.

Many ways to accomplish that.  A couple:

1.) Use the polyline driveway tool break the edge and shape it using the make radius edit tools, etc.

2.) Use a combination of straight driveway and spline driveway tools.  
3.) use the spline driveway tool and start and end with a straight perpendicular section to the road/driveway.

4 hours ago, NealFlora said:

Somewhere I read a CTRL (or ALT) key will allow curving of driveways but that does not appear to work.

Only use the Polyline Driveway/Road/Sidewalks     ---  they will simplify your life as they can be edited the same way and as easily as any other CAD Line/Object.

M.

Draw a straight driveway.

Select it.

Grab it by the centre end grip and drag it into a curve.

Driveways added to the ends should merge (same as curving a stair.

Or...Select a straight Driveway and select the Change Line/Arc tool on the Edit toolbar.