x14 isn't "Saving As" to the folder the original file is in - help please!

deaconjj

Up until now (the past 20 years or so), If I wanted to save an existing plan as (SAVE_AS) a newer iteration, it would always save to the same directory as the original. Now it is saving the last folder I had opened (an entirely different project). 

I went to Preferences > General > New Plans.  My options to "Open and Save As" are either "Last Folder" (clearly not working the way I need it to), or "Use this Folder", which designates a constant folder. I need to save it in the original file's folder.

Why is this an issue? Help please!!!!

Thanks, 
John

John Jones Architect LLC

JohnJonesAIA.com

John@JohnJonesAIA.com

Not an issue with X11 (not sure which version you all are using). My preferences are set to "Last Folder". I tried it many different ways with .layout and .plan files. I opened files from a Windows Explorer folder and the CA Startup Options splash screen - all prompt to "Save As" in the folder from which it was opened, as expected.

Sorry, subject says X14....

2 hours ago, deaconjj said:

Up until now (the past 20 years or so), If I wanted to save an existing plan as (SAVE_AS) a newer iteration, it would always save to the same directory as the original. Now it is saving the last folder I had opened (an entirely different project). 

I went to Preferences > General > New Plans.  My options to "Open and Save As" are either "Last Folder" (clearly not working the way I need it to), or "Use this Folder", which designates a constant folder. I need to save it in the original file's folder.

Why is this an issue? Help please!!!!

Thanks, 
John

John Jones Architect LLC

JohnJonesAIA.com

John@JohnJonesAIA.com

Sounds like a bug.  I just tested it and it will go to the last file you opened from, regardless if you use the open from recent or open from plan.  It also seems to be tied to the folder type of the last plan file or the last layout file you opened from and their corresponding folder.

Please report this to chief so this can be fixed.  If this doesn't get reported they won't know about this issue.  You can also send a link to this forum thread when reporting it.

1 hour ago, rwdozier said:

Not an issue with X11 (not sure which version you all are using). My preferences are set to "Last Folder". I tried it many different ways with .layout and .plan files. I opened files from a Windows Explorer folder and the CA Startup Options splash screen - all prompt to "Save As" in the folder from which it was opened, as expected.

Sorry, subject says X14....

@deaconjj And while you are at it maybe you could fill out your signature to help everyone understand what you are using.

• Upvote 1

I hate to be the only one out of step but since the beginning (Version 4 - 1995) I have always when "saving as" had to navigate to the location or folder I wished to save-as the file to before clicking "OK". I have always had to do this manually without to regard to Chief  or Windows, what am I missing, please? I just tried it in X 14 - X1 with the same positive results. I see NO bug here.

DJP

On 6/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, rgardner said:

Sounds like a bug.  I just tested it and it will go to the last file you opened from, regardless if you use the open from recent or open from plan.  It also seems to be tied to the folder type of the last plan file or the last layout file you opened from and their corresponding folder.

Please report this to chief so this can be fixed.  If this doesn't get reported they won't know about this issue.  You can also send a link to this forum thread when reporting it.

@deaconjj And while you are at it maybe you could fill out your signature to help everyone understand what you are using.

Thank you, Ryan. I've just reported the case to Chief.  

I had a signature line when I used to post actively here many years ago. Chief (or someone) removed it. I'll try to figure out how to make a signature line again.

John

51 minutes ago, deaconjj said:

I'll try to figure out how to make a signature line again.

Nailed it!

Thanks John and nice to see you on CT again.  Look forward to your valuable input.

• Like 1