Tips before migrating to X14

Designers_Edge

1.    YES, I have read Chief Architect's X14 migration guide.  

But I want to dive deeper.   I would love to know the way you prepare to move things over.  Do you go through and clean up files?  Do you move some files to an X13 folder that are no longer needed, but "just in case".  What about your templates you have created for Layout?  Do you clean up your library?

I know we all approach this differently.  I have been using Chief Architect since Chief version 8.  So, have done a lot of migrations, but always feel at times it could be done more neatly, cleaner.

Would love to hear your approach.

I take a pretty lazy approach and just hit the "Migrate Everything" button or what ever it's called, then save my existing X13 templates into the X14 data folder, make sure they are used for any new plan or Layout, and carry on. Chief also saves an X13 version of a plan when an X13 plan is first saved in X14 "just in case".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Designers_Edge said:

Larry,  that has been my approach too, but I feel like there are just layers of old things that have collected over time.  For instance, I never know how many previous versions of Chief I should hang onto before deleting them.

I used to feel that same way but Chief has proven to be extremely reliable and stable (for me at least) and my business model has very little use for older versions. Some folks keep a bunch of older versions so they can help others who have not upgraded but again not my MO. I do continually update and polish my template files as I did today with my Section Views but that's about it.

• Like 1

Here is another item I wrestle with-- do I delete the bonus Library symbol files after I have opened and installed into my library.  Same with the 3D Warehouse models that I download.  Of course, there are hundreds of these now.  I have worried that if I delete them, would it effect my library!