Terrain Behind Retaining Wall

DRyeHD

I'm doing a residential addition that requires the terrain to be built up in front of the addition.  I've created a flat area (for parking) using the Elevation Region Tool.  I've placed a Terrain Wall behind it.  I've been adjusting things  and watching help videos for a couple of hours but can't figure out how to make the terrain behind the wall follow the existing terrain.

I've attached a screenshot of the plot plan and remodel plan with the problem areas indicated.  Does anyone have a solution on how to accurately modify the terrain behind the wall to get it follow the existing terrain line?

terrain.jpg

Normally I use a Foundation Wall for more Control and add my own Terrain Break along the top off the wall

with an Elevation Region either side of the wall, so in your case you might need to add say a 4" wide

Elev. Region along the bottom of the wall too, set to the correct height ( may need to play a bit ) 

Mick.

• Upvote 1

I'm getting close.  @Kbird1, I've used your recommendation for a terrain break along the top of the wall.  I tried using an elevation region at the bottom of the wall but got a little better control using an elevation line.  I've attached a screenshot of my progress.  I can't seem to get the grass off the back side of the retaining wall.  When I move it closer,  the terrain becomes sloped behind the wall as if it connects the the higher terrain.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the grass on the back of the wall?  If not, I will attach the remodel plan (would not show the existing terrain for comparison).

terrain2.jpg

sometimes all it takes is moving the Terrain break 1/2" left or right

I normally use a narrow E.R. 2"- 4 " so most of it is hidden in the wall and for this probably interior is flat is off

And make sure none of the Elev. Data is crossing or touching each other , or they will fight for control of the TP

I make my Elev. line style Orange and give regions a 95" orange fill as well to make this easier to see , the orange will look darker anywhere it overlaps another ER for example. Terrain Breaks I make purple .....and dashed usually

It looks like you just need to move either the wall or move the Terrain Break to the middle of the wall.

What type of wall are you using?

I usually get everything correct with Elevation Regions, Elevation Lines and Terrain Breaks before placing a normal wall.

I usually don't use Terrain Walls or Retaining Walls.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Hi Glenn, What do you mean by "normal wall"?

Thanks

Use a Foundation Wall, ( and edit in Elevation)  not Chief's Terrain Walls which have there own Terrain Break built in but you have less control

like when you want the top of the wall Level , not following the Terrain.

Mick.

27 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Hi Glenn, What do you mean by "normal wall"?

Any wall apart from a Retaining Wall as they usually create too many problems, mainly with all the auto wall steps they create.

18 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Here's a plan that combines all the tips from the smart guys; Terrain Regions; Terrain lines; Terrain Breaks and Foundation walls

Couple more Tips......

Set you Terrain Break Transition Distance to 0 for immediate height differences Larry

and centered on the wall at least at 1st .......... 

And make sure you pull the TR right to the Wall or a hair inside it , so it looks "cleaner"

at the transition and Chief can't take over control for that 1 foot or so to the walls , as if you don't take control CA will.

image.thumb.png.20bc2dca04bc4fcb3c1bce50a7873136.pngimage.thumb.png.07175f4e8a787c3cdd291337bdcd605d.png   

image.thumb.png.bedba48240200e9406d38b815e87b436.png  image.thumb.png.c7e905f42fceed26b5d8d3a4e90ea307.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Couple more Tips......

Set you Terrain Break Transition Distance to 0 for immediate height differences Larry

and s with it centered on the wall.......... 

And make sure you pull the TR right to the Wall or a hair inside it , so it looks "cleaner"

at the transition and Chief can't take over control for that 1 foot or so to the walls.

image.thumb.png.20bc2dca04bc4fcb3c1bce50a7873136.pngimage.thumb.png.07175f4e8a787c3cdd291337bdcd605d.png   

image.thumb.png.bedba48240200e9406d38b815e87b436.png  image.thumb.png.c7e905f42fceed26b5d8d3a4e90ea307.png

NICE - Hope it helps the OP.

5 hours ago, glennw said:

It looks like you just need to move either the wall or move the Terrain Break to the middle of the wall.

What type of wall are you using?

I usually get everything correct with Elevation Regions, Elevation Lines and Terrain Breaks before placing a normal wall.

I usually don't use Terrain Walls or Retaining Walls.

@glennwso you put your walls in after you do the terrain mods? I'm using a terrain wall but based on discussion I'm going to change to a foundation wall. @Kbird1 thanks for the file.  @HumbleChiefthanks for the other tips. I had to knock out a few other things this afternoon but will report back next week when I'm back on that project. Have a good weekend all. 

2 hours ago, DRyeHD said:

I'm using a terrain wall

A Terrain Wall isn't a wall - it really is a terrain path - more like a solid, that will follow the terrain, cut and fill the terrain when running parallel to the slope and will follow the terrain slope when running perpendicular to the slope.

This is an L-shaped Terrain Wall:

Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 4.30.36 pm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2