Roof Problems

HarrisReno

I don't even know if the changes I want to make to my roof are logical, so criticism is welcomed and, I know, will come freely. I have several walls within this plan that I want to have a gable roof, but auto-roof does not create the right "size" gable. Or, it creates holes and chaos with the roof. I'm attaching the plan and pictures with notes that explain my problems better. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Wendy

Plan01-Roof01.jpg

Plan01-Roof02.jpg

Plan01-Roof03.jpg

Plan01-NoInterior.plan

Thank you, Eric, so much for the video. Very helpful and insightful, as always. 

I tried with all my might to semi-replicate your design, but I'm failing. I'm sure the attached plan will make you want to bang your head against a brick wall, but I really think I'm close (and I did add some windows, doors, and interior walls). Here's what's not working and what I would like to work (very sorry for bombarding with so many questions!)...

1. Changing the pitch of the roofs that run perpendicular to the garage to 7" did not get me close to the ridge of the garage. Why does a 7" pitch work on your plan, but I have to lower it to nearly 5-1/2" or less on my plan to get the roofs to meet at the the same height?

2. Obviously, the rear of the house is in terrible shape. I want to keep the "double gable" look like you have on the two walls to the right of the rear perspective. However, I'd like another gable centered over the exterior wall of the Great Room. Ideally, I'd like to have windows that match the roof line, and make it a "grander" view in general. As you can see, when I make that portion a gable, it "marries up" to the two right gables, losing the look completely. 

- I do hope to have some kind of vaulted ceiling in the great room. Ideally, something that matches the roof line of the gable I want to add. But, is this even possible, given the gable roof that's running the opposite direction? I'm just not sure what my ceiling plane options will be in here. I would hate for it to be a flat ceiling, and a tray ceiling would still prevent me from having those tall windows.

3. I don't know how to do the shed roof that you have in your plan. My shed roofs have always been manually drawn. I tried selecting the wall and choosing "High Shed/Gable" but that was clearly not the right move. 

4. I'm mentioning the obvious, but, as we can see in the roof "holes," there are walls extending into the attic that I don't think should be there. Will this be fixed when the roofs are fixed, or do I need to do something about the rogue walls?

5. I'm probably mentioning this far too late, but is this supposed to be two-stories (or, at the least, one and a half) if I want to add dormers? Yikes!

Thank you to all for your feedback and help!

Plan01-RoofAndInterior.plan

• 1 year later...