Creating a Garden Shed

NealFlora

Creating a garden shed from scratch.  

Shed is 12 X 8 with a gable roof, one window and a 64" wide double door.  No floor as it will sit on a Slab.  Room Type is set to Storage with Ceiling = "Roof Over This Room" and Floor = "Monolithic Slab Foundation"

1 . I can't seem to figure out how to make the walls stop at the Slab (they appear to go through the slab.  It should sit on top of the slab.  How can I fix this

2. The roof peek should not be centered over the structure, how can I move the roob peek?

3. The walls are 2 x 4 studs, Materials: plywood on exterior, and interior set to  Openong (no material).  Is it possible to render in 3d to see the interior studs?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.7c153e9c0a928688329bc33dfe1f1a1b.png

Like this?

Hints:

1.) Look at the wall definition and the options of where the platform builds to.

2.) Auto roofs should center the Gable over the building.  No idea what a "roob peek" is...

3.) You don't need to have anything in the Interior layer of the wall it can be empty.  You do need to frame the wall to see the studs.  And if you changed the wall definition from another existing wall definition that had interior sometimes you will need to remove the phantom layer that will show at first using the remove surfaces temporarily tool.  Once you do it once it will stay off in that case.

• Upvote 1

Tyan,

1. Appears ya need to both set the Room Specification.Floor and unchek everything AND set the Wall Specification.Floor to "Stop at Floor Below

2. Sorry for bad nominclature,  Gable needs to be more on one side than the other as opposed to Centered

3. Still fighing this one

3 minutes ago, NealFlora said:

1. Appears ya need to both set the Room Specification.Floor and unchek everything AND set the Wall Specification.Floor to "Stop at Floor Below

You do need to have the room have a floor (as you said it has a concrete floor.) The other items should not be necessary.

2 minutes ago, NealFlora said:

Gable needs to be more on one side than the other as opposed to Centered

So you want a Shed roof not a gable roof?  (Single fall from one higher side to one lower side?)  Proper terminology is key in Chief Architect.

3 minutes ago, NealFlora said:

3. Still fighing this one

Did you do what I described above?  If so post a picture and one of us can help you.  My wording above was very specific on what you need to do.

Ryan

"You do need to have the room have a floor (as you said it has a concrete floor.) The other items should not be necessary."

Why?  I have a 17' by 15' slab the shed will sit on.  The shed walls should sit on plates that will be anchored to the slab.

"So you want a Shed roof not a gable roof?  (Single fall from one higher side to one lower side?)  Proper terminology is key in Chief Architect."

No, I want a Gable Roof whose "ridge" is offest to one side

"You don't need to have anything in the Interior layer of the wall it can be empty.  You do need to frame the wall to see the studs.  And if you changed the wall definition from another existing wall definition that had interior sometimes you will need to remove the phantom layer that will show at first using the remove surfaces temporarily tool.  Once you do it once it will stay off in that case."

Can't find any "Remove Surfaces Temporarily Tool"

To get the saltbox roof you will need to understand manual roof editing ops.

Turn off auto roof generation

Select the ridge top edge of on side, drag it "up" about a foot, open its dbx and copy its ridge height.

In plan view, select the lower roof's ridge,  move it to snap-join the other.  Now open the dbx of the smaller roof you just edited, lock its pitch, and past in that ridge height.

31 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

To get the saltbox roof you will need to understand manual roof editing ops.

Turn off auto roof generation

Select the ridge top edge of on side, drag it "up" about a foot, open its dbx and copy its ridge height.

In plan view, select the lower roof's ridge,  move it to snap-join the other.  Now open the dbx of the smaller roof you just edited, lock its pitch, and past in that ridge height.

You can auto build a 'Salt Box roof by selecting each wall and setting a different pitch in its 'roof' dbx. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NealFlora said:

Why?  I have a 17' by 15' slab the shed will sit on.  The shed walls should sit on plates that will be anchored to the slab.

Probably best to put all the criteria you want to use when describing the issue.  The suggestions above will help you with the roof. Usually you would use the floor for the shed but if you don’t want to see concrete seams at the shed like you would by placing a separate slab outside the shed and setting the height to be the same then you can make the shed room open to below and manually place your slab under it all.

You have 2 choices:

For equal pitched roofs you will need to change one of the roof heights.

Done in 4 seconds with auto roofs.

Draw a room Divider.

Select room and change ceiling height.

Or...if you want the same plate height for each roof, you need to change one of the roof pitches in the wall's dbx.

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 4.03.38 pm.jpg

Not sure this is the correct place for this, and if not let me know what Topic it should be placed in.

I have been inpressed with the responsiveness and competentcy of all the contriutors I have had interaction with on the Forum.  Having used many Forms like this for many different applications, this experience has been the very best!  Thank you all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NealFlora said:

Not sure this is the correct place for this, and if not let me know what Topic it should be placed in.

I have been inpressed with the responsiveness and competentcy of all the contriutors I have had interaction with on the Forum.  Having used many Forms like this for many different applications, this experience has been the very best!  Thank you all.

That is one of the great things about Chief.  The amazing user base.  This forum is an amazing source of information.  We all can help keep it that way with trying to use as precise terminology as possible, marking the correct answer to your issue, giving a Like for helpful contributions, an upvote if the answer is correct and helpful.  Quoting or tagging the person you have a question for.  And when posting questions giving all the information you can.  Screen grabs (not photos of your screen from a cell phone), Clear descriptions and/or photos of what you want and where you are at.  And in many cases the ".plan" file (after closing out of chief as it locks it while open) for most difficult plans.  All of this assists in keeping this forum an amazing source for all of us.  The more you help the more likely the power users and experienced users will help you.