MISSING IMAGES ON LAYOUT PAGES

sthieldesign

17 hours ago, robdyck said:

I recommend copy / pasting images directly into the layout file. No path needed, simply double click the image and ensure Save in Plan is checked.

Also what I do so the Layout can never "lose" the Image if for example a Folder is moved or deleted etc or I open it on my Laptop vs Desktop.

M.

"and see if the images have a  'save in plan' setting"

this works in plan and layout

I have "moaned" about this problem since 2006

my partner also suffered from it

we shared plans back and forth and invariably we would have to request the missing image(s) from each other

I use layout to create my historic presentations and over time move folders/files around

and then when accessing the presentation I get hit with the "missing image(s)" messages

this should have been fixed decades ago

images should automatically be "save in plan"

with a preference or default to pop a warning if auto "save in plan" is turned off

or even no warning if desired

there is no reason that is "issue" can't be fixed :(

Lew

On 5/28/2022 at 8:02 AM, Dermot said:

Only if you are at the Original Computer AND the Images haven't gone missing there too? ( eg an accidental folder deletion or  Folder moved ) , which doesn't help if you are at Home vs the Office or on the other side of the Country ...or even Planet.....

Like Lew I'd prefer this Was a Preference , so the User can leave it Default ( have checkbox set on )  ie. As Is  or we can Check a Box to ALWAYS Save in Plan/Layout , with an additional Checkbox for adding the Image to a Folder inside the Textures Folder ( as CA does with new Material Textures now )

so it can never be lost. ( Optional )

M.

I would like an easy way to review the file paths of all referenced content from plans and layouts to ensure there aren't any unexpected locations used as per my suggestion here:

I take care with content locations but even so a few unexpected file locations have ended up referenced in plans due to some hurried changes.  Using debugging tools show Chief can search a large number of locations for referenced content which is good to keep things working, but also makes it easier for missing file issues to crop up quite some time later.