WALL SCHEDULES

SCI_Design

There's nothing in Chief that would reliably provide the heights of walls.  The problem is that some walls are not of uniform height.

There are some values available that could be used to calculate the average heights.

Lengths and Types are available but I'm not sure they are listed as available columns.  You might have to use custom fields and columns.

• Upvote 1

There is a way to add a comment box into the table. Then you can open the walls and go to object information and under the comment section you write "%room.height.ceiling%" and then it will populate into the table with (most of) the correct heights showing. still a work in progress needing some more finagling but I hope this builds upon our previous information together.  

image.thumb.png.6d9b7657692275c809d14e9cd746ed28.png

58 minutes ago, SCI_Design said:

There is a way to add a comment box into the table. Then you can open the walls and go to object information and under the comment section you write "%room.height.ceiling%" and then it will populate into the table with (most of) the correct heights showing. still a work in progress needing some more finagling but I hope this builds upon our previous information together.  

image.thumb.png.6d9b7657692275c809d14e9cd746ed28.png

Wall will pull from whatever side it is set to.  So if you have a vaulted ceiling next to a flat ceiling room it could be incorrect.  BTW you can change the name of the "comments" column to whatever you want so you could name it Wall Height.  But again I ask the same question as Gene did.

53 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Who would use this data and how?

I have, it is quite complex, hard to troubleshoot and usually very much inaccurate -not even ball park range. Calculating these takeoffs manually is my only solution to try and figure out how to use the automation better. trial and error. We are working on getting our models more accurate also which I know will help. 

• Like 1

So you're gonna give your wall schedule and ask the lumberyard to quote wall framing?

Or a sheetrock contractor?  What about ceilings?

Same with painting.  

How much OSB for sufloor?  

Have contractors and suppliers said specifically "I need wall schedules?"

Give us the specifics of how far off your material list is for a job.  Post a plan file here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, SCI_Design said:

usually very much inaccurate -not even ball park range. Calculating these takeoffs manually is my only solution to try and figure out how to use the automation better.

If that's the case, your model is the problem. My guys love that I can shoot them quick numbers right from the model. Need roofing? Give me 5 seconds. Need flooring? Give me another 5 seconds.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

If that's the case, your model is the problem. My guys love that I can shoot them quick numbers right from the model. Need roofing? Give me 5 seconds. Need flooring? Give me another 5 seconds.

I'm curious, the roofers ask you how much roofing they need? And the flooring guys ask you how much flooring they need? I may be unique but if I'm a roofer or a flooring contractor I'm pretty sure I'd be more comfortable dong my own measuring for materials but if it works you and your guys then more power to you all.

12 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I'm curious, the roofers ask you how much roofing they need? And the flooring guys ask you how much flooring they need? I may be unique but if I'm a roofer or a flooring contractor I'm pretty sure I'd be more comfortable dong my own measuring for materials but if it works you and your guys then more power to you all.

When I went out on my own as a designer I also offered quantity surveys for contractors for both commercial and residential projects.  You would be shocked to find out how many sub-contractors these days cannot read a set of plans.  Especially with insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, and concrete flatwork subs.

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

When I went out on my own as a designer I also offered quantity surveys for contractors for both commercial and residential projects.  You would be shocked to find out how many sub-contractors these days cannot read a blue-print.  Especially with insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, and concrete flatwork subs.

Maybe I was just lucky to find competent subs that could actually read a set of plans.

You will also be shocked at how often...well, maybe...at how often roofing contractors over estimate roofing materials and end up cutting into their profits. I will tell you 100% that the Chief numbers for roofing materials are accurate. They can add 10% for waste, or what ever percent they use, and they love saving $$ and time.

Just now, joey_martin said:

You will also be shocked at how often...well, maybe...at how often roofing contractors over estimate roofing materials and end up cutting into their profits. I will tell you 100% that the Chief numbers for roofing materials are accurate. They can add 10% for waste, or what ever percent they use, and they love saving $$ and time.

I have seen plenty of bundles of unopened roofing on the top of the container loads being disposed from roofing jobs and I can assure you the client is paying for the extra shingles and the disposal of them.  I will need to check again if materials are being calculated correctly for roofs but I have not seen anything in the update notes about it so I would advise people to check their material lists before submitting them.

I am not sure what is up with my model but if anyone could help troubleshoot with me that would be greatly appreciated. That would actually save me the trouble of messing with wall schedules at all which is ironically the name of this feed. 
I am not sure however how to post the plan file so if any tips on that are around that would be helpful! 

thanks again everyone for your insight and helpful comments.

:)

There are two possible reasons.

1) you still have the plan file open in Chief Architect.  Exit Chief Architect and then try.

2) The file is too large to upload.  Run backup in CA and save to a zip file for the plan file only.  This may or not reduce the file to a size where it can be uploaded.