Creating layout Pages that do not print

Draftsman-don

I have a small commercial project with civil files created by a Civil Engineering firm on their title block. I would like to include their drawings on my sheet index on my title page for the entire project. I have created a blank page for each of the civil sheets in the project browser and checked the box "Include in Layout Page Table". I would like to be able to have these sheets listed but I don't want them to print. Is there a way to tell Chief to not print these sheets, but include them on the sheet index? I suppose the easiest fix is to just create a sheet index with text and manage it by hand, but hoping for an automated solution.

Thanks in advance.2150plan-3.layout

I believe the Sheet Index only Show Pages with something on them ... anything .... so even a CAD Line draw over the Title Block lines, so hidden, should work.

You would then need to exclude those pages when you Print to PDF which I don't think effects the Sheet Index.

(you could just Import the Civil Sheet PDFs to those pages and supply them that way too - it's how I do it)

M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Draftsman-don said:

I have a small commercial project with civil files created by a Civil Engineering firm on their title block. I would like to include their drawings on my sheet index on my title page for the entire project. I have created a blank page for each of the civil sheets in the project browser and checked the box "Include in Layout Page Table". I would like to be able to have these sheets listed but I don't want them to print. Is there a way to tell Chief to not print these sheets, but include them on the sheet index? I suppose the easiest fix is to just create a sheet index with text and manage it by hand, but hoping for an automated solution.

Thanks in advance.2150plan-3.layout

Make a mark (cad line) on the sheet so that it will show up in your index. Then when you go to print you just specify the sheets you want to print.

10.thumb.png.60686541f61fa93380f2f62a1566d83b.png

Thanks a lot for the responses. I like the idea of inserting PDF files. My concern is scaling. I can print them to scale from AutoCAD native files but if I insert PDF files, how can I ensure that they print to correct scale? is that a trial and error process? Insert print, scale, then adjust? Is there a method that I'm not familiar with? 

Thanks again for the replys.

55 minutes ago, Draftsman-don said:

Thanks a lot for the responses. I like the idea of inserting PDF files. My concern is scaling. I can print them to scale from AutoCAD native files but if I insert PDF files, how can I ensure that they print to correct scale? is that a trial and error process? Insert print, scale, then adjust? Is there a method that I'm not familiar with? 

It should just work and a good way to confirm is see if it snaps perfectly to your drawing sheet particularly if you are printing on the same size paper as the original PDF providing it is properly scaled.   Where you run into trouble is with scanned material that has odd sized paper dimensions.  It does not hurt to check and confirm but if you are doing all the work and using a consistent method it should always turn out the same.  Just be careful with your file sizes but if they are vector files it should not be a big problem.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Draftsman-don said:

My concern is scaling

Personally I don't think trades should be scaling off pages with a tape measure anyway and I also use Snapshots ( Images) of the PDFs so Chief doesn't slow down too much and put a Note right on the page that it is not to be scaled from it.

image.thumb.png.a43567752f3fda7827b0a79c9487979f.png

Mick.

Two things. My structural engineer sends me 24 x 36 PDF's with all the relevant notes, foundation, floor, roof plans and all relevant details. Nothing is exactly to scale as the dimensions for all plans are in the main floor plans and the PDF's are simply sent to a Layout page, aligned and printed. The other scenario with a civil may require a more accurate scale than the structural guy but any time someone is scaling a drawing to figure out measurement, it's not only frowned upon, but not scaling details was literally the first thing I learned about reading plans.