Interesting experiment of 3060 vs 3080ti

VisualDandD

So I just got a new computer.  I spec'd a 3080ti which I was very happy with the performance.

Everything was great, except I was having some random crashing issues.   I realized it was small vibrations that were the connection of triggering this lock ups.

I also set up my stream deck so I could tell if the PC was still working and only the display crashing.  EG, I could launch youtube vid and play them and hear the sound.  Or launch  music.

So I confirmed that the PC did in fact still work in the background even though the display went out.  I then experimented with just running my on board vid.  Not enough graphics to run CHIEF but enough for normal computing.   The PC would not crash when running on board.

So next step, was I unseated the card and re-installed.   Still crashed

So next step was to move card to new slot (to rule out mother boad)  Still crashed.

SO....now I am taking a spare 3060 that I just bought to put in a driving sim rig I have.  I just swapped the the 3060.

I can see the difference in speed running chief.  I am going to do a few benchmarks when I get the chance and then compare with the same exact files and views with the 3080ti.

I have  very large model where I converted gis top into terrain of an entire lake inlet and converted house to a symbol with terrain and integrated them.   Should be a great one to run the test on.

I am going to RMA the card so although this is never a test I would run on purpose, I now have the  chance to do this so I thought it might be helpful to others.

Just installed the 3060 today.   So this will take a few weeks I am guessing before I get my replacement 3080ti.    

So here is a vid of that complex model and time to generate a 3d overview with the 3060.

It took 16 seconds

55 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Everything was great, except I was having some random crashing issues.   I realized it was small vibrations that were the connection of triggering this lock ups.

Hi, can you elaborate on this some more please as I have this Issue but can't figure it out , (as do other 3080/3080Ti Owners)

No Hardware in your SIG. either so I'd be interested in Brand of Card etc too.

Thanks,

Mick. 

Crashing totally triggered by small vibrations.  See it most when my wheel of my chair moves over my rug.  Started to notice the pattern.  Then got it to repeat the behavior many times.

So far on 3060 no crashing, but only a few hours running.

New build.

i9 12900k

1tb GIGABYTE AORUS (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 5000/4400 MB/s,

3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD (Single Drive)

32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/5200MHz Dual Channel Memory (GIGABYTE AORUS)

ASUS PRIME Z690-P WIFI ATX DDR5, Wi-Fi 6, 2.5GbE LAN, 4 PCIE X16, 1PCIE X1, 3X M.2 SATA/PCIE

EVGA  GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X (Ampere)

LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case

Thanks , I'm now even more curious though as you have the same 3080Ti I do from EVGA I think  - FTW3 Ultra?

but with me it is Chief only......games etc I have not had issues with.....  Do you have high Quality DP Cables?

as there can be DP Blanking Issues which I had in the past on different Cards and it was their suggested Fix

but after months of it happening, replacement Cables and even BenQ RMAing my Monitors, it seemed to fix itself

and in the end I put it down to Nvidia Driver Issues, but I have had it several times now again with the latest

Nvidia Studio Driver (512.59) but only on sleep/boot, previously the screen would just go black and sometimes

not comeback unless I powered the monitor on/off.

M.

image.thumb.png.68b017f3d66127d54a793aa350337530.png

OK...back from food run ;)

Driver version  30.0.15.1259

4/20/2022

The 3060 card is plugged in now and I did not have to make any adjustments.

I have been leaving chief open in the background, and PC has not crashed.  I did have some sleep issues such as you mention.

I am using whatever cables I had.  Never thought to change them.   But ZERO crashing with on board video.  (but I cant run chief with the on board)

So I am going to continue to run this 3060 and see if I can get it to crash.  Again, it was 100% triggered by small vibrations.   I know that to be a fact.  But sometimes I could bang on the case and nothing.  Other times, my wife walking into my office would do it.   

If I run all day tomorrow running chief and no crashes, then I know it is the card itself.   

26 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Again, it was 100% triggered by small vibrations.   I know that to be a fact.  But sometimes I could bang on the case and nothing.  Other times, my wife walking into my office would do it.   

Certainly sounds strange to me , I guess you haven't talked to EVGA then? as I have never heard of "Vibrations" causing an issue......

Same Driver as me and you have sleep issues too..... I have not tried the latest GR Driver yet though...... 512.77

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/188989/en-us

It was the vibrations that made me think of DP blanking though , like perhaps the Port(s) aren't quite grabbing the cable as they should or something like that.

Nvidia did release a DisplayPort ID Firmware update in Oct, for 3080Ti's and 3060's to help with some issues with certain Monitors but I am not sure that is the issue for you....

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5233/~/nvidia-gpu-firmware-update-tool-for-displayid

So this will sound funny how I figured this out.  I am running my new PC next to my old one in the process of migrating them.  I had to run my network cable over the floor.

I started to make a connection with the crashing happening when I rolled over the network cable.  Ok...only issue was it was plugged into the OTHER computer.  So I unhooked it and moved it out of the way.   

Then I noticed it happened one time when I went to move my seat.  So I started the PC and put my hand on the chair and rolled it.  I then pressed down on the chair so there was some weight on the wheels.  As soon as one of the wheels dropped off the thin rug, BOOM, PC went dead.

Then for about a week, I saw everything from when my wife came in my office and the PC crashing perfectly in time with her step.   Once when she closed one of my desk drawers next to the printer.   

But the weird thing was I could bang on the box and not get it to crash.  Something about the perfect vibration.

So anyway, after swapping slots, and then running w/ onboard, I came to the conclusion it has to be vid card itself.  Still no crashes on the 3060.  Had chief running 100% of time on an open window.    But will be fully working in chief all day tomorrow and will see.

I will make sure I go on and off my rug a bunch and try to make as many vibrations as I can ;)

I am beginning to think you might have a grounding issue and perhaps a Static discharge

is causing the issues since you mentioned the Floor has carpet on it...

just a thought.........

Mick.

It is a carpet (oriental rug) in the middle of room and I have an office chair with poly wheels that can roll from the hardwoods over the carpet if I push my chair back far enough.

No static here.  Humidity tightly controlled in the house and we are in AC mode now so humidity never would get that low.

Remember, running on board vid, it wont crash so everything about the PC is the same.  I just unplug the cables out of the vid card and plug in mother board.  No crashes.

Switched and reset vid card...crashes.

Running 3060 in same slot, same power (except it only uses on feed) and no crashes.

Totally a vibration thing.  Closing a drawer 6 feet away from the PC on a cabinet which sits on the floor. (my wife is not gentile ;) ).

Walking across the room or even seen it go out on me when I walked back into the room, blanking out perfectly in sync when my foot went down.

Small update:

2 days running on a the 3060 and zero crashing.  So safe to say it must be the 3080ti card.

I am going to swap the card and hope that was my issue.  For now, I will limp along with the 3060.  FWIW, right now, the 3060 is much slower (obviously)  When I get the 3080 back in the box, I will repeat that simple bench mark.    If I have the time, I can do a bunch of them.  Perhaps also using TM in the RTX, and maybe use some of the RTX in chief 14 just to get some ideas of differences of time.

Strange.  I had a similar problem with the screen blanking but I determined it was the GPU overheating due to insufficient cooling.  In my case the onboard fans weren't working because the power connection was loose.

You should check that there's sufficient ventilation.  It's also possible that the power supply you have is too small.