snapping to an off angle line

SHCanada2

I have a property line which is not parallel to the house, and for some reason I cannot snap to the line, it keeps wanting to snap to the where the off angle line meets the vertical line. I read the manual and thought it was the "Exensions" but I turned that off and it still does not work. any ideas. in the attached video it starts off snapping to the line but then moves off of it. any ideas? I can place a CAD marker to get around it, but I think I am missing something simple

image.thumb.png.7a97332dea338884892af7eca9a90d1c.png

image.thumb.png.fb52a3c135be892871b28ce0376a7592.png

image.png

It doesn't sound like you're missing anything.  Dimensions snap to a number of specific points on various model objects but those points are almost if not always either at corners, start/end nodes, break points, or at object centers.  What you're trying to do doesn't coincide with any of those.  You're trying to snap to a random intersection point along a line.  There's nothing for Chief to associate this random location with (which becomes a really issue when moving/resizing the referenced object).  You have a few options:

• Use Point To Point Dimensions which will automatically drop a point marker at your desired location so that Chief has something to associate the dimension with
  • Place the dimension perpendicular to the referenced line so that Chief can just use the end node
  • Place a break in your referenced line so that Chief has something to associate the dimension with

with "unruly" Dims like those I find the Perpendicular (PP) Tool is handy to make the Dim PP to the Line, in the Video you have drawn it straight up the page hence not PP to the line this will make it look like the Dim snapped back to where you clicked. ( Ext. Line is on PL line now, so not noticeable, but Marker/attachment is likely still out on Corner Node)

M.

* re-worded to please Michael

16 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

with "unruly" Dims like those I find the Perpendicular Tool is handy to stop the Dim snapping to the nearest Node ( corner) it should then snap back to where you clicked.

M.

I already mentioned placing the dimension perpendicular.  Its not really snapping to the point where you clicked though like you're claiming.  It's just that Chief isn't drawing the extension because it's unnecessary.  Its easy to prove too.  Just dimension to a line and then change the angle of that line. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Use Point To Point Dimensions which will automatically drop a point marker at your desired location so that Chief has something to associate the dimension with

I am using P2P, its not dropping a marker. I did use P2P and dropped a marker far enough from the line and then moved the marker. but thats not what I want because I am moving the property line to get the correct setback.

Place a break in your referenced line so that Chief has something to associate the dimension with

this worked well and kept the polyline rectangular intact. thanks

Place the dimension perpendicular to the referenced line so that Chief can just use the end node

works well too if I did it correctly, ironically I already had an end dimension there, I just never tried to snap to the corner (intersection of the blue PL and dim end)

both the above two allow me to move the polyline rectangle and see the setback dim change as I move to get what I want

thanks. the 3'6 is snapping to the corner of the vertical dim end line and the blue PL (I just moved it to the left)

image.thumb.png.1dcab7d9e04d7c8a54032185cac9f2ae.png

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Perpendicular Tool

I dont understand, is this the same as putting in a dimension perpendicular, or is this doing something with the perpendicular tool

3 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

I am missing something simple

I think the simplest way is to draw a line between the two points you want to dimension. 

Then the dimension tool will easily snap to the end points of that line. 

The advantage of this approach is that you can see and adjust that line to make sure it’s where you want it, before dimensioning. 

13 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I think the simplest way is to draw a line between the two points you want to dimension. 

Then the dimension tool will easily snap to the end points of that line. 

The advantage of this approach is that you can see and adjust that line to make sure it’s where you want it, before dimensioning. 

I also use this trick at times, but you don't need to Dimension the Line , just turn on the Arrow both ends and "Show Length" in the Line's DBX.

M.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

is this the same as putting in a dimension perpendicular, or is this doing something with the perpendicular tool

You aren't putting the Dim in perpendicular to the line but to the House/Page in the Video, which is fine as that's how CA will some snap best sometimes.... but you then need to set the Dim. Line PP to the PL/SB line, which will make it look like the Dim snapped back to where you clicked. ( the Ext. Line is on PL line now, so not noticeable, but Marker/attachment is likely still out on the Corner/Break Node, unless using a PT-PT Dim)

M.

15 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

My point is that you've just repeated what I already said.  I also thought the extra information you added to your post was unnecessary and a little misleading. 

I don't see the problem as mentioned , it happens and is done by all the time around here reinforcing Other's Ideas and comments....

M.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, Kbird1 said:

I don't see the problem as mentioned , it happens and is done by all the time around here reinforcing Other's Ideas and comments....

M.

You're right, it does happen all the time.  If you're really just trying to reinforce something that's already been said though, I think it goes a long if you qualify your statement as such with something like:

• As so and so already stated...
  • I agree with so and so...
  • To add to what so and so stated...
  • Etc.

Or if you don't want to give credit to a specific person and instead just want to build on the idea:

• To expand upon what was already pointed out...
  • I agree that...
  • I too think that...
  • I second...
  • In order to achieve the aforementioned...
  • Etc.

Not only is it courteous, but referencing the original statement also helps tremendously if your goal is to bolster and truly reinforce a common idea/discussion instead of creating what might seem like a whole new one.  It just helps keep things a lot more easy to follow when there's a common reference point.  There's my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1