Will a purchased (imported) house plan cad file calculate building materials list?

Bassbud

I am looking to purchase a house plan from a company and I have the option of purchasing the material list. If I do not, will CA calculate material list on its own once I import the cad file?

8 minutes ago, Bassbud said:

I am looking to purchase a house plan from a company and I have the option of purchasing the material list. If I do not, will CA calculate material list on its own once I import the cad file?

When you import a cad file you are literally importing cad lines only, no model information.  You would have to rebuild the model completely and accurately to get the materials list to work.

However chief is a very complete program and there are some very skilled Architectural designers, Engineers, and architects on this forum who can do the plans for you and at the same time provide a chief model and materials list for your project.  Why buy them online instead of having a custom plan developed for you here?

Thank you for the information. I have only designed in CA and not imported a cad file plan. What limitations would I have to modify it and be able to view changes? If I would include a materials list in the import, will I be able to see the plans in 3d?

6 minutes ago, Bassbud said:

Thank you for the information. I have only designed in CA and not imported a cad file plan. What limitations would I have to modify it and be able to view changes? If I would include a materials list in the import, will I be able to see the plans in 3d?

The simple answer is NO. 

As Ryan stated, the Cad plan file is only 2D (lines, arcs and text) and doesn't include any 3D information.  The materials list is likewise just text or maybe an excel spreadsheet.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

The simple answer is NO. 

As Ryan stated, the Cad plan file is only 2D (lines, arcs and text) and doesn't include any 3D information.  The materials list is likewise just text or maybe an excel spreadsheet.

Thank you. 
You guys are so helpful.

In order for you to obtain an accurate materials list the plan file must be PERFECT  from foundation to ridge. The model must mirror exactly, in every detail, how it is to be built in the field. Foundations are commonly designed by State Licensed Structural Engineers. The model must, in every detail be 3D modeled EXACTLY as you intend to build the house in the field. When asked about this I tell my clients that to produce a .plan file that will present an accurate Materials list will require number one, an Engineer to design the foundation and then the time it usually takes to create the 3D model is commonly expanded up to Ten Times what would be normal just for CD's. I have only had one client require of me such a materials list. The resultant Materials List was accurate and it did take me many hours longer to ensure all was accurate. The client was happy with the result.

DJP