X14 Frequent freezing - anyone else having this problem?


DIY_Design
 Share

Recommended Posts

My X14 is constantly freezing and I'm at a loss as to why.  I use Windows 10 and have an RTX3080 GPU and 64GB of RAM, tons of HD space and no issues with any other application.  Does anyone have any suggestions to the cause or tips for maybe fixing it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried any other files, and specifically the oob x14 chief template?

 

Or, have you added any outside symbols to your library lately?  X14 other than a recent toolbar issue with the last patch has been very stable and much snappier than x13 for me anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

My X14 is constantly freezing and I'm at a loss as to why.

 

Freezing how?  Is it a temporary thing or is the program completely locked up?

 

Freezing where?  Are you in a camera view or are you working in some other view?

 

Freezing when?  What are you doing when you see this behavior?

 

Quote

Does anyone have any suggestions to the cause or tips for maybe fixing it?

 

Yes, provide some more information and people might be able to offer better responses.  

 

Also, since X14 is still in beta you should absolutely report any problems you are having to our tech support team.  

 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My bet is that it is not frozen.  If you are opening files from previous versions of CA then x-14 is looking for and can't find those files.  Unfortunately, the program, with regards to user inputs, remains suspended until the project timer runs out.  At that time, you can work on replacing the missing files or helping the program to find them.

 

It would be a good idea if CA could allow the user to stop the search and to help manually within a second or two of encountering that problem. 

 

One other place that CA X-14 suspends user input is when there is some problem in the library.  I currently have that problem every time I need a range.  I have to wait for CA to time out before I can select a range, and if that range is not in the library window, and I have to scroll, then the waiting starts anew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DIY_Design said:

Does anyone have any suggestions to the cause or tips for maybe fixing it?

 

In Preferences Set the Auto-Save time to 60 mins and make the Archive Daily and see if it helps.....

 

This is one of the Issues I also have in X13  and  ***maybe related to Older Plans brought forward.

 

( And no Dermot I can't reproduce it , so you won't find a Report )

 

M.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, have a look for a Chief window that may be hidden behind other windows, or it could be on another screen.

It could be a window like a color chooser window or similar.

The Chief window may be waiting for a response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, glennw said:

Also, have a look for a Chief window that may be hidden behind other windows, or it could be on another screen.

It could be a window like a color chooser window or similar.

The Chief window may be waiting for a response.

In the case of X-14, that is not the case Glenn

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah,

I saw X11 in the signature and glossed over X14 in the message.

What I described with the color chooser can happen in X11 but not in X14.

It still may be possible with other aps, windows and tools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I have been experiencing the same problem.  X14 keeps locking up.  So far it seems to be when I have multiple camera views open at one time.  The blue wheel starts spinning and I can't do anything but re-boot.  It's happening consistently.

 

ROG laptop

500GB free space on my HD

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz   2.81 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 

16GB RAM

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, iandedesign said:

I have been experiencing the same problem.  X14 keeps locking up.  So far it seems to be when I have multiple camera views open at one time.  The blue wheel starts spinning and I can't do anything but re-boot.  It's happening consistently.

 

ROG laptop

500GB free space on my HD

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz   2.81 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 

16GB RAM

 

 

Take a look at minimum requirements on the site for x14 gpu and types of vivida cards.   It a PC guy but I believe u remember seeing that it was an issue with your series of card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We released an update to X14 (24.2.2.1) yesterday that should correct the issue with the program "freezing" or "locking up".

 

Please note that you may not receive an automatic update notification right away depending on your preference settings and when you last ran the program.  If you would like to get the update now, you can find it along with the update notes here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates.html

 

If you continue to experience any problems in X14, then please contact our technical support team:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2022 at 11:51 AM, Dermot said:

We released an update to X14 (24.2.2.1) yesterday that should correct the issue with the program "freezing" or "locking up".

 

Please note that you may not receive an automatic update notification right away depending on your preference settings and when you last ran the program.  If you would like to get the update now, you can find it along with the update notes here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates.html

 

If you continue to experience any problems in X14, then please contact our technical support team:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

 

 

Thank you!! This update seems to have cured the freezing problems I've had with X14.

I had zero issues today with Chief open in plan view and at least one 3D view, plus a web browser and adobe acrobat, a situation which would cause totally random freeze ups before this update. Much appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It happens to myself a lot as well.

When i try to group select a lot of different items (ie. group of cad lines, polylines, especially if the polylines have a fill created in them) the pc freezes for 4 or 5 seconds then continues to work.

Never happened in the past several Chief versions until x14.

Very frustrating!!!

My pc is not the problem i dont think, its a fast machine with a good vid card.

Can someone hel pexplain this please?

Jeremy

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jeremy33 said:

It happens to myself a lot as well.

When i try to group select a lot of different items (ie. group of cad lines, polylines, especially if the polylines have a fill created in them) the pc freezes for 4 or 5 seconds then continues to work.

Never happened in the past several Chief versions until x14.

Very frustrating!!!

My pc is not the problem i dont think, its a fast machine with a good vid card.

Can someone hel pexplain this please?

Jeremy

For cases where you've got a specific action you're trying to carry out in a specific plan, and the software consistently performs more slowly than you'd expect, it's generally best to submit a case to our tech support team with the plan file and full details on how to trigger the slowdown. Especially in cases like this where it's just hanging for a few seconds after a specific operation in a plan view, there's often analysis we can perform with our debugging tools to isolate the cause.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "stall" or "freeze" happens most commonly in a camera view for some users. I'm learning how to move around, in and out, without my scroll wheel, which seems to be the kiss of death. If you have the "right" computer, everything seems to work smooth and reliably. If you have the wrong computer, X14 can be very painful, in spite of all the wonderful new features and improvements. The gurus can't duplicate the "bog-down" because they have the "right" computers. So, some of us are just stuck until the upgrade fairy turns up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    32073
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    smashing
    Newest Member
    smashing
    Joined