Separating window frame to reveal material

EMBARC

I'm looking to see if there is a way to separate the material between the frame and the reveal of a window (or door).

When painting the frame it also paints the reveal the same material, and visa versa.

I have been a long time Chief user but never found a solution - so hoping someone has a good trick. Using X13 currently.

Thanks in advance!

image.thumb.png.1ea0ebd41abaa3bce3f730b9c26c6fbb.pngimage.thumb.png.ba7f6278598154a372e1568d8baaa262.png

Similar to Chopsaws, set first window to desired color, unchecked fit frame to wall (I made it 3" but could be 0 same as Chops), copy paste in place, change to pass through with frame fits wall then paint- Only difference is no p-solids needed. Block them if you need more than one, bit tricky to mull  .

image.thumb.png.4e894cb91290b5717efd93057c8bb146.png

• 1 year later...

If I am going to do interior or exterior 3D camera views close enough to window or patio doors, to see the details of sash, frame, extensions (or returns), I use 3D moldings for them.

You used the term "reveal," for what most call jamb extensions, if doing it as millwork, or returns, if doing it in drywall.

In the attached image rendered with Chief real time raytracing, an Andersen Series 100 window with transom is shown on left, and a Series 100 gliding patio door with transom is shown on right.  Using Andersen's excellent CAD downloads as a resource, I set all the specs in Chief for frame widths, frame depths, sash frame size, door panel frame size, positions within frame for sash, door, exterior projection, etc., so as to get as real as possible.  The gaps between interior casings and frames is then measured in a Chief section view, and the 3D moldings created and positioned.  I modeled them 3/4" thick by whatever depth needed.  Just as the contractor would size them to install.

Once such a 3D molding for the jamb extension is done, it can be copied and pasted into position for other like openings in a job.

The 3D render image shows the 3/16" reveals where casings overlap the front faces of the extensions.  I call it out in the section views shown attached.

Untitled 17.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-07 120205.png

Screenshot 2023-07-07 120824.png