plon plan question

MarkSM

How do I get one side of my property to be exactly 90 degrees?  The current lot I am working on is a prefect square.  Now that I've drawn it, I want all the property lines to be 90 and 0 degrees.  how do I do that?  TIA!

If I understand your question correctly, I am trying to get square on the screen page.  ive attached a pic below.  the shaded area is the lot.  I am trying to get it "square".

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 3.58.43 PM.png

1 minute ago, MarkSM said:

If I understand your question correctly, I am trying to get square on the screen page.  ive attached a pic below.  the shaded area is the lot.  I am trying to get it "square".

Square to the house or square to itself ?  Regardless the north arrow needs to be parallel to one of the sides to get 0 and 90.

I drew it based off its bearings.

So then you need to rotate it with the north arrow maybe.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Square to the house or square to itself ?  Regardless the north arrow needs to be parallel to one of the sides to get 0 and 90.

So then you need to rotate it with the north arrow maybe.

ok, maybe  I am doing a bad job of asking the question.  Let's say, for example, ! have drawn the lot below.  And I want the left side of the lot to be 90 degrees or perfectly straight up and down on my page.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 4.05.04 PM.png

ok, maybe  I am doing a bad job of asking the question.  Let's say, for example, ! have drawn the lot below.  And I want the left side of the lot to be 90 degrees or perfectly straight up and down on my page.

In that situation you would check the angle of the left line and determine exactly how much it needs to be rotated to be vertical. Then select the whole thing which usually includes the north arrow and use Transform and Replicate to rotate everything at once.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You could also draw a vertical line and then use the make parallel tool.  Be sure to set it to move the whole polyline and not just an edge.

Only if you actually have a polyline. :(

5 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You could also draw a vertical line and then use the make parallel tool.  Be sure to set it to move the whole polyline and not just an edge.

A warning about this method is that you won't be able to rotate the North arrow at the same time as the polyline so you would need to figure out the rotate amount to rotate the north arrow to show correctly if you want to do so.

• Like 1

So my solution would work great for the second picture but maybe not so great with the first.  You guys are so picky.

I would probably also use the transform replicate dialog in this case.  Although I can think of a number of other methods that would also rotate both the north pointer and the cad.

1 hour ago, MarkSM said:

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 3.58.43 PM.png

I have to do this a lot with houses that are on narrow lots with parallel sidelines.

Here is my method which is the same as chopsaw with a little more detail: I draw using the survey, with a north pointer set at true north. Then I copy the angle of one of the lines I want parallel to the house and paste it into the transform/replicate dialog. If you want bearing readings to show on the plot lines, include the north pointer with the rotate command, which will retain the bearings. Sometimes another rotate at 90° is required, just because I don't bother with figuring that out beforehand.

I do this the dumb way all the time with scanned surveys, I just use the transform replicate repeatedly until the lot line matches the vertical crosshair line of the mouse pointer. it sometimes takes 4 or 5 tries, but it works to be close enough when I check with the setback dimension. nothing like trial and error to pass the time. The only problem is I never remember that neg relative rotation is to the right...or is it to the left...

Here's what I recommend:

1. Place an angular dimension that is attached to your desired lot line on one side and to a perfectly horizontal or vertical line on the other
  2. Group select your desired objects
  3. Click on the dimension and set it to either 0 or 90.