Exterior Walls Snapping to CAD Lines

BrentJohnJohn

9 hours ago, rlackore said:

It may be easier to use the General Wall Defaults and select Resize About>Outer Surface; this will allow you to snap the outer surface of the wall to your CAD lines.

738944683_ScreenShot05-17-22at02_43PM.thumb.JPG.fd27061640c7846011b8a21c77bb8345.JPG

bit late to the party but yes , this is the best method and one I use....  Shortcut Key is Alt-Q  to access that DBX.

Mick.

• 2 months later...

HI All,

were you able to get this to work in X14? I'm currently using x14 and changed the General wall defaults to outer surface and the external walls still wouldn't snap to cad lines. 

other than setting an additional cad line back the distance of the main framing layer. any ideas of how to get the outer layer to snap to the cad lines? 

1 hour ago, JasonJFBdesign said:

HI All,

were you able to get this to work in X14? I'm currently using x14 and changed the General wall defaults to outer surface and the external walls still wouldn't snap to cad lines. 

other than setting an additional cad line back the distance of the main framing layer. any ideas of how to get the outer layer to snap to the cad lines? 

Seems to work fine for me in the default Chief Template doing a quick test............

image.thumb.png.dff9c3ef437de42dd13a9e6710ba8c83.png

I think there is a bit of confusion here.

I believe the OP was talking about the ends of the walls (where the brick wraps around the end).

In that case Resize About doesn't apply.

He was not talking about snapping along the length of the wall.

Like this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 2.17.53 pm.jpg

There are a couple of ways to do this that immediately spring to mind.

1. Select the wall, click on the temp dimension along the walls length, use a + and the extra length needed, you can also select both ends or one end to change the length of the line.

2. Snap a room divider wall perpendicular to the wall so that it snaps to the end of the main layer, drag the room divider wall over and snap it to the cad line, the end of the wall will drag with the room divider.