Window Filled In By Wall ?

kMoquin

UPDATE:

I was able to get the window to appear correctly, but the solution does not really make sense to me. (And by the time between posts you can see it was not a very involved fix.)

I guess now this is a challenge to see if anyone can duplicate and or explain this.

I'll share my solution later.

UPDATE:

I was able to get the window to appear correctly, but the solution does not really make sense to me. (And by the time between posts you can see it was not a very involved fix.)

I guess now this is a challenge to see if anyone can duplicate and or explain this.

I'll share my solution later.

I have not been able to figure out the solution yet,  but I do know if you open the wall dvx,  the drywall finish does not stop at the plate height.....  there is some funny setting that I have not figured out yet.... copy a front wall and the side wall in question and paste elsewhere in plan and compare......  something funny going on Kevin.

I think you challenge should have read something like this:

Something weird happened that makes no sense but I did something fairly random and something else happened. I challenge you to guess what it was.

Fair summary.

I did just download VoodooObjects.calib, maybe that had something to do with it.

Kevin,  something is wrong here,  I wish you would send it in and find out what is  wrong.  If you do a full overview and select that wall,  the drywall is a 2 story finish.  No other walls behave like that,  so what is the problem?

btw,  I was not able to get our solution to consistently work.

Kevin,  something is off,  open your busted plan,  go to second floor, delete the left gable end wall,  the one over the left exterior wall of garage,  the window is now fixed.  Something ain't right.

Also notice what happens  to your dormer wall when you delete the wall.

Strange, Chief seems to get confused about interior versus exterior when the gable wall is deleted. A similar thing is happening with my attic wall solution I believe. Highlight the "Exterior Room" after performing either of those operations. It looks convoluted.

The fix until I hear back from Tech Support is all garage attic walls set to no locate, no room def. 

That stranger thing is this does not work if I drag a connection between the attic walls of the one story bump out in the rear. If I make those attic walls no locate, no room def., the window appears fine again.

Kevin,

I can see what the problem is and am still having a play to try and find the cause.

If you open the wall dbx for the wall below the window, not on the 3D view of the wall that the external lining continues up to the top of the level 2 floor.

So it is the external lining from the wall below that is causing the problem in the window.

If you to a 3D overview and select the wall the window is in and pull it down from the top, the problem gets fixed.

I am still not sure what is causing the level 1 external lining to continue up past the level 1.

OK, I think I have it.

Go up to level 2, display and select the attic wall over the garage doors.

Nominate it as No Room Def.

Works for me.

Okay,  but maybe I want that to be a room (the attic space above the garage doors),  with very low ceilings,  I should be able to do it.

Okay,  but maybe I want that to be a room (the attic space above the garage doors),  with very low ceilings,  I should be able to do it.

Scott,

Yes, but in this case it didn't need to be a room and my solution fixed the problem.

Let's wait until someone comes up with a plan where they need a room and it causing a similar problem.

We could then look at that particular case rather than complicate this one.

There may be a different solution for a different situation.

OK, I think I have it.

Go up to level 2, display and select the attic wall over the garage doors.

Nominate it as No Room Def.

Works for me.

Using X7,   on a MAC,  does not work for me.  I suppose that is my point,  something is wrong here and even if that "attic space" was a room,  the window should not be covered  up.

Kevin,  did you ever hear back from tech support?

BTW Glenn,  if that wall is defined as non room def,  you will lose the ply subfloor in that area which may be required for lateral/shear transfer.  Bottom line,  something is broken.

I see this a lot when getting plans from others to fix. Most of the time the foundation is off by a little, and with AUTO ATTIC WALLS on, the software is trying to reach the roof from the foundation to place the attic wall. I have not opened this plan...but as I said, I see it a lot and can almost always be traced to the foundation wall.

Here's the response:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support. It looks like the presence of an Attic room is for some reason forcing the Floor 1 wall to build up to the roof; selecting the wall and tabbing over from the room to the wall itself, you can see the extents of the lower wall stretch all the way up. Setting the second floor attic wall that butts against this wall to No Room Def and No Locate, like an auto-generated attic wall, will correct this as well.

Taylor
Chief Architect Technical Support