Best way to get section view of stair case that shows all flights of stairs.

DianeP

Seems like I knew this, but now I don't.  I want to see the flights that are hidden by the walls.  I know I can make the walls invisible, but then i have to go back and change them back and remember to not refresh the view.  Any suggestions?

image.thumb.png.6392c9b0f5a9c2f8c9e061888da28eeb.png

Lots of options. My technique would probably be:

1.) Select all of those walls and use CTRL+X to temporarily cut them out.

2.) Take a Cad detail from view

3.) Go back to live view and do CTRL+ALT+V to paste in place the walls back.

4.) Return to the Cad Detail you made.

5.) Delete all of the superfluous cad work except the stairs you want to see behind the wall.

6.) Marquis select the stair lines and change to a dashed line style and use CTRL+C to copy them all

7.) Return to the Live view and use CTRL+ALT+V to paste them in place so they now show as dashed lines as if you were "seeing through" the walls that are there.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Lots of options. My technique would probably be:

1.) Select all of those walls and use CTRL+X to temporarily cut them out.

2.) Take a Cad detail from view

3.) Go back to live view and do CTRL+ALT+V to paste in place the walls back.

4.) Return to the Cad Detail you made.

5.) Delete all of the superfluous cad work except the stairs you want to see behind the wall.

6.) Marquis select the stair lines and change to a dashed line style and use CTRL+C to copy them all

7.) Return to the Live view and use CTRL+ALT+V to paste them in place so they now show as dashed lines as if you were "seeing through" the walls that are there.

Ryan, Thanks for this.  Only problem I am having is the CTRL+X of the walls.  I select them with the shift key so that I get all 3 levels, but they won't cut so that I can paste them later.  They can be deleted and that gives me a view to send to CAD detail, but the detail is deleted when I do CTRL+Z to undo everything.  With CA being such an awesome software, seems like this should be so much easier.

I want to see the flights that are hidden by the walls.  I know I can make the walls invisible, but then i have to go back and change them back and remember to not refresh the view.  Any suggestions?

Why not just put those walls on a custom layer instead?  This view could use it's own layer set with those walls hidden and then other views could still show them.

28 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Why not just put those walls on a custom layer instead?  This view could use it's own layer set with those walls hidden and then other views could still show them.

This is also an option but architecturally speaking it would not be accurate so it would quite possibly cause issues for permits and/or construction as it would cause confusion.

1 hour ago, DianeP said:

Ryan, Thanks for this.  Only problem I am having is the CTRL+X of the walls.  I select them with the shift key so that I get all 3 levels, but they won't cut so that I can paste them later.  They can be deleted and that gives me a view to send to CAD detail, but the detail is deleted when I do CTRL+Z to undo everything.  With CA being such an awesome software, seems like this should be so much easier.

You may have the hotkey changed.  With them selected go to the edit menu for the program... use the CUT fuction to temporarily remove the walls, (CTRL+X is the OOB hotkey for the Cut function).

Just now, rgardner said:

You may have the hotkey changed.  With them selected go to the edit menu for the program... use the CUT fuction to temporarily remove the walls, (CTRL+X is the OOB hotkey for the Cut function).

No I can ctrl x  and cut doors, etc but I can't cut a  wall they are selected.

35 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Seems like a good idea.  And I could keep the wall style pretty much the same, just copy  and change the layer name.

14 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Seems like a good idea.  And I could keep the wall style pretty much the same, just copy  and change the layer name.

I wouldn't recommend it for the reason I mentioned above.  Asking for a job-site error.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Hmmm, created a new wall type by copying existing and renaming it interior wall 6" , then I created a new normal wall layer and named it normal wall stair.   Turned off normal wall stair and have the stringer showing blocking the view.  Tried to turn it off on the stringers, but it is already off.

image.thumb.png.20208b6349a87dc83ac71ee5d1ed5f77.png

image.thumb.png.a39375a153b57e668dd86372f8769d9a.png

5 minutes ago, DianeP said:

Hmmm, created a new wall type by copying existing and renaming it interior wall 6" , then I created a new normal wall layer and named it normal wall stair.   Turned off normal wall stair and have the stringer showing blocking the view.  Tried to turn it off on the stringers, but it is already off.

image.thumb.png.20208b6349a87dc83ac71ee5d1ed5f77.png

image.thumb.png.a39375a153b57e668dd86372f8769d9a.png

I turned off the trim against wall on the stairs.  May be able to proceed from here.

image.thumb.png.37e789a19c4ce6e50b0c34dbf5d6aeb9.pngimage.thumb.png.ad619fa795557193a2494d24be75b390.png

• Upvote 1