Creating New Light Fixtures

Alfiejay08

I love lighting in rooms, so I tend to make (or update from other models) a lot of lights. I notice that once I import them into my library as a symbol, the lights no longer light (see attached). What am I doing wrong? Can someone please explain the correct way to add a light fixture to your library?

thanks,

Alfie 

New Light in Chief.jpg

Used first SU file I could dig up on mine, bit of fun as it turns out.

Importing or creating light symbol. First select as Electric and always Advanced Options; then Options Panel-check light for a chandelier or my cave light select ceiling image.thumb.png.a1b44ffb4e6200a8cb0764e837c34f72.png

I find it useful to rename parts of symbols so I can understand  what it is in the future, at the same time change the materials to standard library materials. To make renaming parts simpler I start by selecting an obvious color for the item, like berry, rename it, select correct material and move to next. image.thumb.png.38f9d2e095dc1996c2de0d204b2d2a00.png

It's a good idea to double check the Name and check the Origin and orientation at this time (look in help for symbols) In this case the object was flipped vertically and origin set to 0 so it would be on ceiling.

image.thumb.png.57b38cae69c20ca1ca277aee0ac64477.png

Then click OK and item should now be in your library and already selected for placement. IF you selected Electric, and Light at the beginning there should be a light data panel with one light already in place. To make changes here please check the help or user manual PDF.

Finish light in room with the default single light in it.

image.thumb.png.897ab6bac410346d8b771469c76f2d69.png

I kinda like it, wonder if I can get one :)

(oh and forgot- please fill out your signature with software version and machine info since that can help in the future- there's info floating around for that and likely someone will chime in)

• Like 1

Thank you so much MarkMc! I would love to send you a copy. I'm sorry, I have been down and out with Covid for awhile, so I haven't had a chance to update anything. But I will add that information as soon as possible. In fact, this is the first week in some time that I have felt able to really breath.

Thank you again, and I will add that file when I get back home today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 8:00 AM, MarkMc said:

Follow the directions given above and let us know how you did.

MarkMc you are AWESOME! Since I followed your directions, I LOVE putting light into fixtures I find online. They are so beautiful now! This is the latest one that I found on SketchUp. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Newest Light.jpg

• Upvote 1