Layout Elevations_house at 45 degrees, how to blank out 45 deg elevation in layout?

Arch_Tech

Hello all,

I am using CA X13.

I am designing a house that has a wing that is at 45 degrees relative to the other wing of the house.  I am working with a Home builder and he has shown me that when a house is at 45 degrees, typically the elevation views reflect that by only showing the outline of the structure that is set at 45 degrees, like this.

image.thumb.png.21dad9e6259f581d3fcf3e46b540f0cb.png

As you can see the garage portion is at 45 degrees relative to the elevation view.  I am pretty sure this set was produced with AutoCAD.  

How can I make this happen in CA?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Arch_Tech said:

typically the elevation views reflect that by only showing the outline of the structure that is set at 45 degrees

That would be a matter of opinion, not a hard and fast rule. That being said, it's easy to satisfy that requirement. 

Send the view to layout. Copy-paste-in-place. Set one of the views to have pattern lines that are white. Use the draw order tools to place it on top of the other view. Crop the layout box as neeed.

Takes longer to write the description than it does to actually do it!

image.thumb.png.f7842b9728b5f554ecb89d80a8c02722.png

Both options are very creative.  I would lean more towards that polyline fill method.  If you are copy and pasting, any updates would render that unusable and you have to re-copy re-paste.  Still a very handy method though.  Thanks for the tips.

2 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

When I did this I used a polyline with a white fill set to some random number around 75%, far from automatic anything.

image.thumb.png.a33b4cda17a040af27cb68163292325c.png

I also use this method , with another "CAD Mask" blocking the view of the Foundation or hatching it depending on the Client.

I believe we may have a new choice in the upcoming X14 as we will be able to use Reference View in Elevations too.

*Rob's way should work just fine in any situation as Chief will update the Views in layout with any changes Automatically (retaining the white lines)

M.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

That would be a matter of opinion, not a hard and fast rule. That being said, it's easy to satisfy that requirement. 

Send the view to layout. Copy-paste-in-place. Set one of the views to have pattern lines that are white. Use the draw order tools to place it on top of the other view. Crop the layout box as neeed.

Takes longer to write the description than it does to actually do it!

image.thumb.png.f7842b9728b5f554ecb89d80a8c02722.png

totally worked, you are a gentleman and a scholar.  Thank you sir!

55 minutes ago, Arch_Tech said:

totally worked, you are a gentleman and a scholar.  Thank you sir!

I don't know about that, but thanks! Keep in mind that you can use similar methods to show all sorts of things. For example, a portion could show just framing / foundation and another portion could show the elevation view. Or part B&W, part color. 

Using the polyline method, you can recreate the fog effect similar to Sketchup. A polyline with a partial transparent fill that covers a portion, and then is replicated slightly offset to a value that is less than it's width. That would result in multiple overlaps of the polyline which would get harder and harder to see through, sort of like fog / distance.

Either method is a simple way to distinguish between old / new for reno's and additions. The example below could probably be better, but it printed nicely!

image.thumb.png.528ae53fbe55593daa500996cf3e43e4.png