Will this computer configuration work well with X14?

Ed_Orum

It's time to buy a new computer.
This is what I am looking at:

I really don't know much about computers, and I really do not want to rely on the salesman for information, so if anyone has any information about how good (or bad) this configuration is, it would certainly help and I would appreciate it very much.  Thanks in advance.

OMEN 45L Gaming Desktop GT22-0238m

Operating system: Windows 11 Home

Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X W/RGB Liquid Cooler (3.8 GHz up to 4.7 GHz, 32 MB L3 cache, 8 cores)

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (12 GB GDDR6 dedicated) with LHR, Display Connectors: HDMI*1, DP*3

Chipset: Intel® ADL Z690

Memory: HyperX 16 GB DDR4-3733 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM (2 x 8 GB)

Expansion Slots: 1 PCIe x16; 1 PCIe x4; 3 M.2 (2 for SSD, 1 for WLAN)

Storage:  512 GB WD Black PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD

External I/O Ports: [19]Front:2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (Battery Charging 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 2.0 Type-A; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 microphone

Rear:1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate; 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 10Gbps signaling rate; 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 2 USB 2.0 Type-A; 1 audio-out; 1 RJ-45

Really depends on your Budget.....

But I'd consider a 3070 instead of the 3060 ----  or a 3070ti or 3080 if your budget will handle it.

A 1TB NVME drive instead of 512GB ( twice the size ) ...could go 2TB as well ...budget again....

and a secondary 2TB SSD for Storage and Running backups etc too as I don't see one listed.

(or a 2TB HDD to save a bit of money)

Something is not quite right as the Intel Z690 uses Intel CPUs and you have a Ryzen CPU listed which is from AMD.

M.

I would say you have a good base setup but if you are going to be doing any significant amount of RTRT then you should have a 3070Ti or better.

Also the ability to add more RAM if you run other software with chief or have multiple monitors.  Minimum of 1TB SSD unless you want to do a lot of file transfers with a HDD.  I started with a 256 GB SSD and had it filled in a mater of months.

Thanks!
That's two votes for the 3070Ti or better, so that will get upgraded.
The 1 or 2 TB drive seems like a good idea too.
"Something is not quite right as the Intel Z690 uses Intel CPUs and you have a Ryzen CPU listed which is from AMD"....thanks for pointing this out, I have to check with HP to see why they listed it this way.

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have been using the 3060 for many months now and --no problems with RTRT.

34 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Me 2.

DJP

Nobody said anything about the 3060 not working for RTRT , but it has the same performance as a 2070 according to Online Reviews

ie. is slower than the better models ..... that is all and as always when buying computer components get the best your budget allows

at the time, to ensure better longevity / future proofing.

In my own testing between my Laptop (2070S) and Desktop (3080ti) the desktop is *almost* twice as fast on the same scene/camera,

however I'd say the 3070Ti is probably the sweet spot for many looking at budget and CA Performance since it is only

$50 more than the 3070 , though the OP is looking at Prebuilts in this case.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01557/nvidia-restocked-reloaded/

M.

I agreed with @Kbird1 on the GPU, this shows the relative performance of some cards mentioned:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-vs-GeForce-RTX-3080-vs-GeForce-RTX-3070-Ti-vs-GeForce-RTX-3060-vs-GeForce-RTX-2070/4409vs4282vs4413vs4345vs4001

If you try some of the other 30 series cards in that site you'll find in general the performance gains within the 30 series tails off past the 3070 and you pay a lot more for not much more performance, for example even the 3090Ti scores only 29456. 

In my case I run a lot of 4K monitors on the one system across two GPUs and wanted to ensure the VRAM wasn't a limitation so decided on the 3080 12GB (not the earlier 10GB variant and mid way between 3080 and 3080Ti in performance).   This was the first card other than 3060 that has 12GB and not too much more above the best performance vs cost point.

Interestingly one of the GPU issues I've encountered within Chief relates to exhausting VRAM on the GPU, so although this could be an issue with the GPU driver and/or Chief code, the extra VRAM means this happens less frequently than it would with the same monitors and less VRAM.

10 hours ago, Smn842 said:

Interestingly one of the GPU issues I've encountered within Chief relates to exhausting VRAM on the GPU,

That is odd. I decided to check again on mine, only 1 4k montior with a pair of 2ks. Base GPU memory used is 7.36% in X13 and 8% in 14.

Opened two plans, two elevations, and two RTRT cameras, then exported one camera at 600 DPI. I regularly see power and voltage limits but never memory. This has been the case for every version I've ever checked. Max GPU memory used is 38.9 for X13 and 42.7% for X14. Memory controleer load runs around 64%. Maximum GPU memory used is 3498 MB and system memory is 5426 MB. I wonder why you are having memory issues but I don't think it's Chief.

image.thumb.png.b957e029b909ace7f3471507bd5d01d2.pngimage.thumb.png.7266c606b34ea6a26fbf1e554f1989cf.png

43 minutes ago, MarkMc said:
11 hours ago, Smn842 said:

Interestingly one of the GPU issues I've encountered within Chief relates to exhausting VRAM on the GPU,

That is odd.

That's what I was thinking as I read it too..... even a couple of Games I have can't max the GPU ( 12GB) on Ultra settings.... ( 1 screen )

*I am running (3) x 1440p or 2K monitors currently

M.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

That is odd. I decided to check again on mine, only 1 4k montior with a pair of 2ks. Base GPU memory used is 7.36% in X13 and 8% in 14.

My main PC has 6 x 4K monitors (2 GPUs) which needs more VRAM generally but the Chief issue is with layouts and two of those containing a number of PBR views (RTRT disabled).  During print to PDF the VRAM use rises and after saving the PDF file it rises again and for several of my layouts then generates a crash in Chief.

This is the last capture before it exceeds 12GM VRAM on the applicable GPU:

1100398753_CAX13VRAMuse.thumb.png.04ef42cbdc1f68cb8c0758c461ae77b2.png

After X13 crashes and the PC recovers it drops back down to 1 to 2 GB. I can replicate this on three PCs and as some of my software related dev work is graphics related I've checked with applicable debug tools and they show the same use and related to Chief. 

I am not referring to the AMD game related VRAM issues that are hotly debated as they're quite clearly designed to favour AMDs higher VRAM GPUs over Nvidia's and as I am not a gamer that's not an issue for me.  If not using an RTX card for Chief then the VRAM usage remains within lower limits so as per my earlier post it could be a driver or Chief related issue.

I've been running background diagnostics on two PCs since upgrading them to use at least one 30 series card and both use more VRAM than non RTX cards on several graphics related applications.  I've got a lot of work on at present so cannot dig deeper but it does appear VRAM is being (mis)used more in current RTX drivers/software and with larger and higher DPIs monitors becoming ever more prevalent I thought it worth a mention. 

Yes it's a rare system required for a couple of demanding tasks, however further tests show the same high VRAM use with Chief on another more regular PC with a couple of smaller monitors when using layouts with non RTRT PBR views (viewing and printing).  

I reported this to support a while back and they appear aware and suggest the logical approach of splitting up content over multiple layouts or PDFs.   I suspect its probably an optimisation issue with how these are generated on RTX capable systems and potentially the driver, as using GPUs without ray tracing worked fine with the same content and much less VRAM on both the second system and my main one.

Thanks everyone!
With my extremely limited computer knowledge, looks like I need  system that used the good old #2 HB pencils.  A couple of erasing shields, maybe a leroy lettering set!

Regards,

Lane