AutoArchive Question/Issue

PMMully

I have an unusual one for me. I have X12 and X13 on same box. I do most work in x13. I have PLAN that I was up late last night working in X13. I hit the "Win-L" key to lock the screen when done. To my recollection I did not close out X13, nor did I do a manual save.  Maybe windows flaked out, and auto-rebooted on an upgrade. Bottom line, for some reason I lost some very detailed tedious work (ugh).

My autosave is set for every 10 minutes. I went into manage autoarchive management, and I see a few saved the plan and layout file about the right time. They are under the X13 archieve, all looks good. But when I click on one, it jumps into X12, and asks if I want to do a CA upgrade, any ideas?  The CA setup looks legit. I have negated the invitation to upgrade to date as to not honk everything up :-).

The screen shot follows, I am interested in the ~2AM times at the end. What is the "BAK" files versus the not "BAK" files on the same day (all this AM)?

CA ScreenShot.PNG

That means that your system has Chief files associated with X12.

You can either: use "Open with" and select x13; open x13 and navigate to the file; and or open x13 -preferences-file management-associate files with this program.

Few tips- if I'm primarily working in X12 then I keep files associated with that. When I'm working with multiple versions (X12, 13 & 14) I set the color scheme for each to be obviously different so that I don't mistakenly save to a newer version than the client is using. Typically I require all work to be in the current version to avoid issues but do have one client on X12 right now, (made an exception since they are on a Mac but going forward will need to move to X14 upon official release.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @MarkMc, as I was driving this AM, I thought about that file association bit. Nice to have that validation.

One last question, the last 5 files at the bottom, on the same day, there is an XXX_auto_save.plan/layout, XXX_auto_save_bak.plan/layout, and finally an XXXAutoBackup.plan

I looked in the reference. Apparently the auto_save is for normal operation, the "bak" file is for abnormal termination, which is clearly what happened a few hours later. But I can not find any reference to the _AutoBackup in the reference manual. Any idea where this file came from?

5 hours ago, PMMully said:

Maybe windows flaked out, and auto-rebooted on an upgrade.

Every second Tues of the month is Microsoft Update Tuesday , so it will have Updated outside whatever your  "Active Hours" are set for, both mine did yesterday too.

M.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Every second Tues of the month is Microsoft Update Tuesday , so it will have Updated outside whatever your  "Active Hours" are set for, both mine did yesterday too.

M.

Wow..... lucky me! Thank 'yall so much, stopped me from thinking I was nuts (ok... well as best I can...)!