Cabinet Panels

sea_lyons

I have 5/8" applied panels to my full height cabinet here. 

image.thumb.png.866f9d1024c84f6bd20efa98dcdf53eb.png

Two issues crop up when the cabinet is placed directly beside my base cabinet:

1) The crown no longer extends above the panel on the right side. It reappears on the right side only if I move the full height cabinet away from the base cabinet.

2) The countertop on the base cabinet intersects the panel. I've removed the overhang from the left side of that cabinet to no avail. Is there a way to stop this from happening or do I need to draw a custom counter? 

Any help very much appreciated. Quite new to using Chief. :)

Looks like you have a separately placed panel possibly? If so you should be able to apply the crown molding on the panel as well.  

Btw this is a good way to setup style palettes for future use.  Or buy one of the trainers cabinet toolsets for kitchen and bath cabinets.  Will set you ahead light years with chief in interior work especially!

Caitlin,

Your full height cabinet has a panel that is in between the base cabinet.  I suspect you might not want that?  If so, place the panel separately from the Library (not thru the cabinet dialog) and then position it from the top to the base to the top of the full height cabinet. For complete control of the molding, consider drawing it manually with a molding polyline; then you can size it and position it as you need.

mold.png

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sea_lyons said:

Two issues crop up when the cabinet is placed directly beside my base cabinet:

This was done from scratch using default template. Plan attached.

I don't know what difference starting in HD makes but guess that using Solvers method would work.

This is an alternative method to add the side panels and another way to get the dimension.

First: Instead of making side paneled or auto paneled. Make the side custom, then select panel applied.

For the side that the base cabinet butts to-split the panel and change bottom section to blank area.

Advantages are 1) panels show in plan; 2) butted side has correct panel with no need to float it in where you would need to resize it anyway.

image.thumb.png.2cd4c48a5d4275958506bb0c53db0936.png

image.thumb.png.3116013fbcf53e091a70e7d877066b45.png

To get the dimensions to snap to the panel-

1- pull a dimension line set to snap to cabinets but NOT to doors/panels

2-select the dimension line, open object, dimension panel-dimension default select define image.thumb.png.6602a601a79c1d3a10476f2adeee2b6e.png

3-locate objects select cabinet doors/panels

image.thumb.png.de7c382e3699beb975ef0365a98b5906.png

4-grab the little rectangle at the very end of the dimension string-NOT the diamond (which doesn't always snap to the panel in this case). Pull it past the panel and it will snap a dim to it. (I find it easier and more accurate than placing a point) You don't want to start with doors/panels checked since it will snap to all the doors and give too many dims.

image.thumb.png.2a96838dcabd0f1af738c76bfba78b20.png

I'm with Scott on using molding plines  (I almost always use those instead of the Cabinet DBX) ...BUT

if you select auto offset the moldings should show correctly.

image.thumb.png.ac0430a6571f477c1399345826d794cb.png

Side Panel option.zip

Personally I use another option since Chief Dims won't snap to auto panels and don't display in Plan View.....

I made a library of End Panels and Full Height Partitions out of Base/Full Cabinets ( thanks for Tips MarkMc)

as Dims will snap to them and report to a schedule, and they show in Plan view as well as making Flush Filler easier....

been doing it that way, for a couple of versions now not that I still don't have to use Markers and CAD lines at times, too still.

Not the best example (Office) but what I was just working on.........but should give you the Idea....

image.thumb.png.62db41a0c5e6fac2f5317e24b69dfe0d.png image.thumb.png.c9a873a75cddc8f6ed4a84b3bd0da22a.png  image.thumb.png.cf0f9ae71fbde5d13ca0de7f1dff9079.png

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I made a library of End Panels and Full Height Partitions out of Base/Full Cabinets

I use those for loose end panels and fillers with returns but not applied panels which are ordered as separate  items from a cabinet mfg.

Since applied panels (or integrated sides/wainscot panels) are ordered as part of the cabinet I make them that way so appear in the schedule with the cabinet.

Pick your poison depending on what you need:

• paneled & auto panel don't show in plan but will apply settings in accessory tab for panels-to floor and full overlay
  • custom side using attached panel shows in plan but needs a custom door symbol to make full overlay or to floor, full overlay doesn't show in floor
  • None of the above will bump or push, can only dimension in elevation unless adding CAD.
  • Floating in loose panels bumps, shows in all views, and dimensions. Just have to set height off the floor and complicates schedules if you're ordering.

• 4 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 5:50 AM, MarkMc said:

This was done from scratch using default template. Plan attached.

I don't know what difference starting in HD makes but guess that using Solvers method would work.

This is an alternative method to add the side panels and another way to get the dimension.

First: Instead of making side paneled or auto paneled. Make the side custom, then select panel applied.

For the side that the base cabinet butts to-split the panel and change bottom section to blank area.

Advantages are 1) panels show in plan; 2) butted side has correct panel with no need to float it in where you would need to resize it anyway.

image.thumb.png.2cd4c48a5d4275958506bb0c53db0936.png

image.thumb.png.3116013fbcf53e091a70e7d877066b45.png

To get the dimensions to snap to the panel-

1- pull a dimension line set to snap to cabinets but NOT to doors/panels

2-select the dimension line, open object, dimension panel-dimension default select define image.thumb.png.6602a601a79c1d3a10476f2adeee2b6e.png

3-locate objects select cabinet doors/panels

image.thumb.png.de7c382e3699beb975ef0365a98b5906.png

4-grab the little rectangle at the very end of the dimension string-NOT the diamond (which doesn't always snap to the panel in this case). Pull it past the panel and it will snap a dim to it. (I find it easier and more accurate than placing a point) You don't want to start with doors/panels checked since it will snap to all the doors and give too many dims.

image.thumb.png.2a96838dcabd0f1af738c76bfba78b20.png

I'm with Scott on using molding plines  (I almost always use those instead of the Cabinet DBX) ...BUT

if you select auto offset the moldings should show correctly.

image.thumb.png.ac0430a6571f477c1399345826d794cb.png

Side Panel option.zip 628.55 kB · 25 downloads

Mark how do you get these side panels to be flush with doors and go down to floor?

8 hours ago, dskogg said:

Mark how do you get these side panels to be flush with doors and go down to floor?

Depends- if using the auto paneled or paneled side option it's in the DBX, accessories panel

image.thumb.png.750029df27c4341576d7b49a22914990.png

If using a custom face - side panel applied you have need a custom symbol- increase the width and height to what is needed, lock those in the stretch plan panel, set origin so it drops to floor and move to front. (don't remember if you need a left and a right or can use the same one for left and right)

On 9/14/2022 at 5:27 PM, MarkMc said:

Depends- if using the auto paneled or paneled side option it's in the DBX, accessories panel

image.thumb.png.750029df27c4341576d7b49a22914990.png

If using a custom face - side panel applied you have need a custom symbol- increase the width and height to what is needed, lock those in the stretch plan panel, set origin so it drops to floor and move to front. (don't remember if you need a left and a right or can use the same one for left and right)

I clicked these options, why does it work for applied panels but not your custom panels?

doesn’t make sense to apply a gable and not have it go to door front?

A bit off topic…Fyi I have been using some styles and now have to make gables and fillers with cabinets because ca doesn’t include panels in styles but includes back splash.. makes no sense? Is there another option?

6 hours ago, dskogg said:

I clicked these options, why does it work for applied panels but not your custom panels?

Been that way a long time, used to have to float the panel in so an improvement.

6 hours ago, dskogg said:

Fyi I have been using some styles and now have to make gables and fillers with cabinets because ca doesn’t include panels in styles but includes back splash.. makes no sense? Is there another option?

Not sure what you mean. Attached a sample, else start a new thread with clear info.

side gable sample.zip