elevation line types and weights

BruceKC

1 hour ago, BruceKC said:

Is there a way to send an elevation to layout and define all the lines by layer, instead of just edges and patterns?

Yes, send to layout using Plot Lines. Uncheck Use Edge Line Defaults and Use Pattern Line Defaults. Then the edge lines will be defined by the layer and the pattern lines will be defined by the material.

More control but about 10 times the work.

Thanks for your help.  I'm surprised that when sending a view to layout, it doesn't have more control than that really.  Is there a better way to do that?  I usually like my edges to be heavier as well as the roof lines (even heavier), and windows/doors etc. lighter line weights.  I'm probably looking for something that can't happen unless I create a CAD detail from view and edit all the lines.  Bummer, but again, thanks so much.

1 hour ago, BruceKC said:

I'm probably looking for something that can't happen unless I create a CAD detail from view and edit all the lines.

NOOOOOO!!! Don't make a CAD detail from your elevations. You lose the ability to easily update those elevations when making a change. You need a layer set to send with your vector views to layout. 

image.thumb.png.83c068d569c3282ed45f1d6a50d312a5.png

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, robdyck said:

More control but about 10 times the work.

I have to disagree with that statement!

2 hours ago, BruceKC said:

Is there a better way to do that?

Create an exterior elevation layer set in your template plan and customize it as you want with roof planes, walls, cross-section lines, etc. with a heavier line weight. It might be a bit more work to set up initially, maybe a couple hours, but do it once and then it'll be done. It's definitely not 10 times the work every time. You could take it a step further and create your 4 elevation cameras in your template and assign that layer set to them, so they'll be there every time you start a new plan. Even if you work on a plan that doesn't have that layerset, just import it from your template plan. 

For materials, if I'm not mistaken, most in the library come stock with a pattern line weight of 0, so not much to do there. I sometimes change the fill pattern colour to a lighter gray instead of black, but that's just a couple clicks per materials. If you use the same materials often and you don't want to change them every time, you can copy the manufacturer catalogs to your user catalog and edit the materials there.

image.thumb.png.8eaf8a8dd75af5a48a0c82050b599d39.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

NOOOOOO!!! Don't make a CAD detail from your elevations. You lose the ability to easily update those elevations when making a change. You need a layer set to send with your vector views to layout. 

image.thumb.png.83c068d569c3282ed45f1d6a50d312a5.png

i do it just like Joey does it, lots of control that way

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, LevisL said:

but that's just a couple clicks per materials

x 5 materials = 10x the work, right? I wasn't saying it's too much work, just that it's more. And, if you change materials, you'll need to remember to edit the pattern lines each time, assuming you have a specific weight and color in mind.

Thanks everyone, I'll give this a try.  Not very experienced with creating layer sets, but trial and error (probably mostly error), will be the order of the day.  I'm so used to 2D elevations in Autocad and control over line weights....on the other hand, I'm so glad to not be using Autocad Architecture anymore. Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

x 5 materials = 10x the work, right? I wasn't saying it's too much work, just that it's more. And, if you change materials, you'll need to remember to edit the pattern lines each time, assuming you have a specific weight and color in mind.

If you compare that to the clicks to change the pattern line weight and/or colour here for every view sent to layout, since we can't set our own defaults, then I call it a wash! ;)

image.thumb.png.252181455f2a2324d20114d39d5abee7.png

Looks like Joey's sending live vector views to layout, no-color grayscale.

You gotta decide if that's the look you want, compared to what you get sending plot lines.  

Some prefer to mix it up, with the principal elevation done with a vector view, some 2d trees, shadows, etc., and the others as plot line views, no shadows, no plants.

I can't thank you all enough.  I created a later set called Elevation Layer set and set it up as well as I can for the moment, and it's light years ahead of where I was at.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate the community here at Chief Architect.  What an amazing departure from my 35 years working with autocad.  You're all amazing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LevisL said:

our own defaults, then I call it a wash!

The elevation views are already sent to layout, with the correct settings. You did that 10 years ago when you set up your default plan.:P