Create a vaulted AND coffered ceiling WITH trim? (reference pic included)

Mode1FPV

Matching the ceiling in the picture. I'm trying to do it using soffits (seemed the way most people made coffered ceilings). The two main issues are:

1 - The trim on the soffits disappear when they are set to follow ceiling.

2 - The horizontal soffits don't 'rotate' to match the ceiling.  (pic attached)

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

-Nick

soffit rotate.jpg

Nick, the soffit tool may be difficult to get rotated based on your photo.  You might try using the 3D solid (in X12 it’s the polyline solid).  You can take an elevation view, draw the solid, position and size; move back to plan view and stretch to the length of the room.  If you want moldings to follow you can 1) use the molding polyline or 2) draw the soffit shape and molding together in CAD; save that as a molding profile and again use the molding polyline tool.   Below is a simplified example.

mold.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the quick reply's!  Creating a symbol from a soffit then manually rotating and placing was the only solution I could come up with.  Was hoping for a little easier process, lol.  Thanks so much for taking the time to help and do mock ups! :)  

Did this with a cabinet converted to a fixture interior symbol.

image.thumb.png.8416a876297adca9e06c10653e540b5f.png

Molding pline for crown, convert to cabinet door set stretch planes to center of width and height, and offset y origin to depth less 3/4"

Backclipped cross section, detail from view. Measure angle and length of cathedral.

wall cabinet, set separation as needed (I used 6") set depth to match depth of new door symbol, set back to opening, (I first set sides and back to opening in the sample but later realized you need some depth at the ends so change that)

Make cabinet width equal to length of ceiling slope, height equal to run needed.

Set front to side panel inset and specify the cabinet door molding symbol you made.

Now divide horizontally as many times as needed (4 in this case) then equalize. Then divide each horizontal layout vertically. Then go and delete and extra full with separations, Equalize.

Convert to symbol fixture interior, using advanced options rotate to match slope.

The nice part about this is you can save the plan and make variations OR you can have different size panels as needed while controlling those with actual dimensions instead of trying to float/place things.

Once new ceiling symbol is made Place in plan, double check it's on the correct side (will go on the opposite side to what you think it looks like in the symbol DBX) if on wrong side, move. The copy refelct. Done.

The down side is you won't get framing or ML list for this (maybe could get ML after jumping through hoops and pulling  out hair :)

Cathedral Coffer.zip

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You can do almost everything using the cabinet tool.

Long long ago, in a galaxy far away...Yoda posted a challenge in the chatroom-10 objects built in Chief. (X5, 6? dunno I was just getting legs in X4) Almost all of them were made with cabinets. It opened my eyes. Thanks @Joe_Carrick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks Mark.  I'm pretty sure it was version 10  But maybe it was as late as X4.  IAE, it was in the prior Chieftalk and I don't think that post is available any more.

IAE, The Cabinet Tool does have a lot of modeling capability.

• Upvote 1