How would you model a lowered golf simulator room in the basement/foundation?

AndrewSopher

I have been attempting to create a lowered floor room for a golf simulator in the basement. The basement is a half exposure (daylight windows), I want the floor of the golf simulator to sit 33'' below the floor in the basement for golf club clearance. I have tried using pony walls, but ideally I want the framed walls (some half walls some full height) to sit inside (furred) of the foundation walls (I do not want the directly on top as a pony walls would do). What is the best way to achieve this type of room? Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, AndrewSopher said:

I have been attempting to create a lowered floor room for a golf simulator in the basement. The basement is a half exposure (daylight windows), I want the floor of the golf simulator to sit 33'' below the floor in the basement for golf club clearance. I have tried using pony walls, but ideally I want the framed walls (some half walls some full height) to sit inside (furred) of the foundation walls (I do not want the directly on top as a pony walls would do). What is the best way to achieve this type of room? Thanks. 

2 walls next to each other.

Exterior wall: 2x6 pony wall on concrete foundation wall 

Interior wall for insulation. Check "Furred Wall" and break as needed to make a solid railing wall. Place solid railing portions on a separate layer for half walls.

Another option is to change the basement to the level 1 and create a basement on level 0 with just the footings for the upper part and then stepped down for the golf simulator area, with the area on level 1 being set to open below right there.  Same concept as the garage oob room settings.

6 hours ago, robdyck said:

2 walls next to each other.

Exterior wall: 2x6 pony wall on concrete foundation wall 

Interior wall for insulation. Check "Furred Wall" and break as needed to make a solid railing wall. Place solid railing portions on a separate layer for half walls.

I will give that a try, thank you. 

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

Another option is to change the basement to the level 1 and create a basement on level 0 with just the footings for the upper part and then stepped down for the golf simulator area, with the area on level 1 being set to open below right there.  Same concept as the garage oob room settings.

So the only part of the basement that is on level "0" would be the lowered room for golf simulator and then the footings for it?

1 minute ago, AndrewSopher said:

So the only part of the basement that is on level "0" would be the lowered room for golf simulator and then the footings for it?

No, you would have the footings for the rest of the basement (and a very small foundation wall) but the footings, foundation walls, and floor for the golf simulator room (the basement level in that area would have provide floor for room above checked).

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

just the footings for the upper part and then stepped down for the golf simulator area

15 hours ago, rgardner said:

No, you would have the footings for the rest of the basement (and a very small foundation wall) but the footings, foundation walls, and floor for the golf simulator room (the basement level in that area would have provide floor for room above checked).

I will give that a try. Thank you for the feedback.