Ceiling Breaks

twnctyguy

Invariably when I'm working on an older house remodel, I can't achieve a flat ceiling in the interior and always end up with a portion of sloped ceiling along the exterior walls.  (See attached pic.)  My interior ceiling height is correct, the height of the windows is correct, the roof fascia and soffit heights are correct.  This particular house is from 1948.  Did they use smaller rafters?  Different framing methods?  Any help is always appreciated...thanks.

Rafters.jpg

Base Plan 10 Inch Walls.plan

Yes that is most likely the situation 2x4's were actually 2" x 4" with square corners and used for all kinds of things that they would never meet code for these days.  Ironically a lot of those buildings are still standing after 70 or 80 years and doing just fine. 

Left Auto build do your Roof Planes, (uncheck Roof over the leanto area temporarily)

the current planes are reporting the Top Plate height as 91 1/2" and the Ceiling is at 97 1/8"

Current                                                                                                              Auto Roof

image.thumb.png.b018da92600e788bbf3ebcdc1cb4da65.png  image.thumb.png.0a83c81aa7f38592b34655372e1f4f9b.png

image.thumb.png.24bd3591687e8a76a2fa764928aca106.png

First thing is to make sure your ceiling heights are correct to what is existing. Then_

I think you need to change the framing size of your roof planes to 2x4's not 2x10 which is the current condition. This will bring your fascia height back down. 

Just a hunch - did you measure your roof overhang from the brick? your overhang is set to 10" which Chief measures from the baseline. Usually I can only get a field measure for overhang from the exterior. Your exterior layers are 4 7/16" from the framing layer where the overhang is measured from. Setting the default ceiling height to 96, all rooms as default, using 2x6 rafters and adding 4 7/16" to the overhang default builds a roof with fascia at the height you started with and a 10" overhang to the brick.

image.thumb.png.eb809cb299dd0ee1f7334cf1033e6161.png

MarkMc & MPDesign:

Thanks for the feedback.  I did indeed make the changes you suggested, including changing the rafters to 4".  That seems to have done the trick.  I'm curious to get into the attic and see what's there, because they certainly can't be 10".  Anyway, thanks again!

4 hours ago, twnctyguy said:

Kbird1:

Thanks, but then in adding the extra 6" at the top of the plate it moves the fascia up to a height that isn't correct with the dimensions and heights of the existing house.  (Sigh.)

Like others I suspect you don't have ALL the correct Info for the existing build and Mark may well be correct , as I think you are working backwards ,

since the Ceiling height MUST be correct , so something else is up....

M.