How to place CAP on exposed basement wall in stairwell.

PJS-59

Go to solution Solved by joey_martin,

I have a question on creating wall caps.

I have a plan with 12" Concrete Wall w/ 2" interior drywall for the basement exterior walls. 

The 1st floor has 6" Siding exterior walls.

I have a U-Shaped stairs from basement to 1st floor in back left corner.

I want to place a wall cap over exposed basement wall where basement meets 1st floor in stair well.

How do I handle this?  I can't find in documentation anywhere.

Sample 3D Picture with red arrow where I want "wall cap".

SamplePic.jpg

Where do I place the molding?  (I am using Chief Architect x13)

I tried adding a cap under Wall Specifcation/Wall Cap, but I can't figure out how to get it only on part of the concrete and interior section of wall.

• Solution

Use the shelf tool and simply set the height to the top of the stem wall, size accordingly. 

Also, in those situations consider furring out the upper wall to match the bottom. That provide a cleaner look when you can do that.

Building this, one might need to fix a continuous block of treated lumber atop the foundation wall adjacent the base of the framed wall, then do a finished cap on that, and an apron molding under it along the face of the wall finish of the lower wall.  Three parts.

Take a section through that wall, do a CAD detail from view, zoom in to where this cap and block and molding is to go, and draw your three shapes.  Those closed polylines, three of them, are your moldings, so save each as a molding in your user library.  You'll build your "track" (i.e.: "molding polyline") in 2D plan view, the "track" is the route your moldings will extrude along to create the 3D arrangement you need.

In plan view of the main floor with the OPEN BELOW stairs opening, draw a single straight CAD line, then convert it to a molding polyline, and attach a molding, any molding, to it.  Now look in 3D to see what you did.  Select it in 3D and open its dbx, and move it in the Z direction by changing its height.

You'll figure it all out.  But watch a training video, please.  

Thanks everyone for the help.  For now I am using the simplest option of a "Shelf" and setting the appropriate height.  The "Shelf" is just above the stair landing and below the window. So will work just fine. 

Yes, I will.  I have been going through various training videos and learning.  I have A LOT to learn.  The Shelf option was exactly the look I wanted in this instance.

Thanks again for your help.