RTX 3060 vs RTX 3070 Any experience?

Willis93

Looking at upgrading to a PC with an  RTX graphic card. CA "recommends" RTX 3070. Any experience with using a RTX 3060 instead. This would be so that I could use CA 13 high speed rendering, which you cant use if you have a MAC. Thanks 

Hi Jim, I consider a 3070 the make break point on ray tracing. I felt this was true of 2070s. Moving beyond Chief, when I was grading video ("digital film") and Nvidea moved to the 970 iteration, next the 1070 etc. I considered this the minimum. During those years I also used 2 AMD high end (for the time) cards. Stick with Nvidea. When Chief moved to GPU RT I was using a 2070 and 2080 with great results. I still use the 2080 when I am in South America. Mark

I have both an MSI laptop with a 3060 card and an MSI laptop with the 3070.  Both are very fast, but the 3070 by design has about 10 percent better performance and better cooling.

If you intend to do a lot of graphics work I would get a desktop for high end heavy duty work, but for basic work either the 3060 or the 3070 will not disappoint.

FWIW a 3070 on a laptop will be about like a 3060 on a desktop. Also not all laptop cards are equal, the voltage can vary from one brand to another of laptop and MAXQ will perform a version below. All that said I still run on my laptop with a (better than average though I've never messed with the voltage options) 2070S. It's a good bit slower than the 3070 on the desktop for RTRT but general work is not really all that noticeable. To me the speed difference with RTRT is only really a bother when adjusting settings. Once camera, lighting and materials are worked out I really don't care since it's still miles faster than CPU RT. Copying existing cameras and having light sets can help.

• 5 months later...

So I just "upgraded" my graphics card from the P1000 to the RTX 3070 ti. I was expecting a marked difference considering the benchmark specs but the rendering time is actually considerable longer. Has anyone else had this experience?

11 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have a 3060 24 gb, and it works just fine for me

I’d like to get an MSI laptop with a 3060 in it because the prices are quite low but jump up quite a bit for a 3070 or higher.  

When you say, it works fine for you, are you able to handle larger projects?  Like a 4 to 6 story multiplex with 20+ apartments? I don’t need to have framing on but I would like at least all the cabinetry and some furniture in place. 

12 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I’d like to get an MSI laptop with a 3060 in it because the prices are quite low but jump up quite a bit for a 3070 or higher.  

When you say, it works fine for you, are you able to handle larger projects?  Like a 4 to 6 story multiplex with 20+ apartments? I don’t need to have framing on but I would like at least all the cabinetry and some furniture in place. 

Sorry, i don't get into anything more than 3 stories, but they can be detailed. I never do any commercial either. Not sure how chief would handle that.

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2022 at 9:03 AM, solver said:

I'm guessing you have upgraded from X12 too, so please update your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Are you also still using x12? if not please update your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

image.png.8510db22f13139ede3e2a53bae3c926b.png