Powder Room Door

Joe_Carrick

I'm in a bit of a conundrum.

We have a powder room that opens off of the den and it has a pocket sliding door.  Naturally, it's open most of the time and the wife wants a hinged door so that it can be just slightly open when no one is in the powder room.

The problem is that the room is only 3'-6" x 7'-0" and with a 28" door swinging into the room it would be very difficult for Perry to go into the room and close the door.  I could swing the door out instead of in, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

What would you do?

post-47-0-69873700-1394654264_thumb.jpg

Swing it out just incase you have a medical problem while sitting on the pot. If the door swings in, they wouldn't be able to open it and would have to cut it out. Yes, I really think of these things. I started doing all those that way a long time ago.

With the swinging in door it would be a real problem to get in there and then close the door.

Also, in Oz, we are not allowed to swing a door in like that unless it has lift off hinges.

Because, as Perry says, if someone collapses, they can fall against the door and prevent rescue.

Hinge the door out or a bi-fold, or leave it as a pocket.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum.

We have a powder room that opens off of the den and it has a pocket sliding door.  Naturally, it's open most of the time and the wife wants a hinged door so that it can be just slightly open when no one is in the powder room.

The problem is that the room is only 3'-6" x 7'-0" and with a 28" door swinging into the room it would be very difficult for Perry to go into the room and close the door.  I could swing the door out instead of in, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

What would you do?

I would go to Perry's house instead of inviting him to my house.  Besides,  his wife is a true chef.

Scott,

What do you know about toilet safety. Also the porcelain throne must be able to withstand the massive forces that some people throw down upon it, not even saying about what's required in  the floor structure. The hole size also needs to be a large one, for those embarrassing moments when a regular hole just won't do.

I agree with the outswing, hinge towards the cabinets.  My son is a fireman and EMT and had one incident where a big fellow died on the commode.  I can't imagine trying to recover a heavy person on a commode with a design as shown.