Interior Renderings

twnctyguy

I am having great difficulty achieving high-quality interior renderings.  I've attached two pics, one showing a standard view and one showing a Physically Based view.  I've watched the videos numerous times, and followed the instructions step-by-step but I'm doing something wrong because the renderings are dark, muddy and not particularly realistic.  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

Physically Based.jpg

Standard View.jpg

DEC 1 New Design WITH LIGHTS & FURNITURE.plan

I am NOT a Ray Trace or rendering expert and have no idea how those experts get the results they get but I take a pretty drastic approach and start adding really bright lights (not recessed cans but lights from the 3D Add Lights Menu) all over and see what changes. I think one light is even 200,000 lumens but that's not what I recommend, it's just what I did to see if might improve the look. You be the judge and it might help at least get closer to what you want.

10 pass RayTrace and PB Camera. One big problem could be your materials like the SS and counter tops. That's a bit over my pay grade but perhaps others can help.

RT 1.png

1199616752_DEC1NewDesignWITHLIGHTSFURNITURE 2.plan

RT 2.jpg

Here's a quick take on it. Adjusted sun, background, ambient occlusion, turned down lights in dining area (BTW you have way to many lights too close together IRL )

Changed stainless on DW and drywall material to white, added a light behind the camera. Turned off Bloom. Check all settings for camera and rendering technique and lights.

Did not replace the missing tile material. FWIW in the future if posting a plan and asking rendering questions it helps to include a camera and any odd materials.

image.thumb.png.191aa009b691693a68e981e8ab8388b7.png

Second version not included in file increased brightness and exposure. These are just screen shots not exports.

Should also change the ceiling material, would be better

image.thumb.png.297786915e90ea816c49f9dd3f00748f.png

Adjusted rendering.zip

• Like 1

I always try to keep the ambient light as low as possible (it tends to make a scene look flat) and use quality material images which have been 'massaged' to provide the best look (take some time to learn about material maps) and add plenty of strategically placed lighting. Also, keep your camera at eye level and don't tilt it downward. Take a look online for tips from professional photographers on how to properly compose a scene.

There's no simple answer here, it's just a matter of learning how to manage lighting, material properties, camera placement, composition and 'dressing the scene'. There are several good videos on the knowledge base (which you may have already seen) which will educate you in the basics but beyond that, it's a matter of practice and experimentation to help you learn how each setting influences the look of your image.

149684858_39ManorViewKitchen03.thumb.jpg.41b9721958b3d35638187b73168a8ea7.jpg

Can someone explain what is happening with the 2 views? Standard shows the flooring fairly consistently the PBR shows 3 different textures? All I did was change from standard to PBR using the original plan.

Thanks

BTW, glad I could motivate those who know about such things to post better ideas and renders by posting a crap render :P

STANDARD VIEW 1.png

PBR VIEW 1.png

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Can someone explain what is happening with the 2 views? Standard shows the flooring fairly consistently the PBR shows 3 different textures? All I did was change from standard to PBR using the original plan.

Thanks

BTW, glad I could motivate those who know about such things to post better ideas and renders by posting a crap render :P

STANDARD VIEW 1.png

PBR VIEW 1.png

Is this a function/challenge with PBR?

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Is this a function/challenge with PBR?

In Interior PBRs  Chief tends to light the Room the Camera is in  and "forget about the rest" try switching the Light set from Automatic to Default Light Set and make sure all rooms lights are ON in the Default Set.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/34372-why-are-my-exterior-and-interior-lights-on-in-camera-mode-but-not-in-ray-trace/?do=findComment&comment=267882

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

In Interior PBRs  Chief tends to light the Room the Camera is in  and "forget about the rest" try switching the Light set from Automatic to Default Light Set and make sure all rooms lights are ON in the Default Set.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/34372-why-are-my-exterior-and-interior-lights-on-in-camera-mode-but-not-in-ray-trace/?do=findComment&comment=267882

Thanks Mick, I was able to get the floor surfaces in different rooms to sorta kinda match with a 80,000 - 150,000 Lumen light in other rooms but never really matched textures. Learning a little more about how this may not be my thing. Many frustrating "features."  Do you think it's intended that PBR would only render one room accurately? Or is it a matter of just messing about till one gets the look one's after?

36 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Mick, I was able to get the floor surfaces in different rooms to sorta kinda match with a 80,000 - 150,000 Lumen light in other rooms but never really matched textures. Learning a little more about how this may not be my thing. Many frustrating "features."  Do you think it's intended that PBR would only render one room accurately? Or is it a matter of just messing about till one gets the look one's after?

Part and parcel of Chief's Room Based Paradigm I think, even if the room is only defined with an invisible Wall so you man need to take control of each "Room's" Default Light Set , ie don't use Automatic but as you are still 10 Series Nvidia I am not 100% sure if it all act quite the same with the new Astral 3D engine.

M.