X-14 Slowness

robdyck

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

On 4/29/2022 at 8:33 AM, Dermot said:

If anyone can find a case where X14 is noticeably slower than X13 was when doing something in particular, then please be sure and report this to our tech support team.

If would be very helpful if you could include the original X13 plan and the exact steps that you are using to see the slow downs.  This is the kind of information that can really help us to determine the cause.

You can find information about contacting tech support here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Thank you Dermot.

Out of curiosity, does Chief know why the earlier the beta the faster the app?  I find current x14 about the same as final x13, but I always notice a much faster early version of each release that gets slower as the app reaches full version.  Maybe there is a good reason for this - but its a shame we can't keep the speed of the early versions of the app.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:51 PM, johnny said:

Thank you Dermot.

Out of curiosity, does Chief know why the earlier the beta the faster the app?  I find current x14 about the same as final x13, but I always notice a much faster early version of each release that gets slower as the app reaches full version.  Maybe there is a good reason for this - but its a shame we can't keep the speed of the early versions of the app.

I usually find this as well. and have wondered the same.

However, I could not work in much of X14 Beta; it was far too slow.  The public beta is better, but I am hearing lots of fan spin-up with simple commands.  Something seems off.  

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update to this, it's still obviously horrible, but both of my draftsman (one on Mac and one on Windows 11) both have complaining about the exact same issues. I did experience it using the windows 11 user's computer today. 

So it absolutely seems to be an issue entirely within Chief...it's just so darn frustrating.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, plannedRITE said:

Yep, the slowness has been very annoying. Frequently (how frequent varies, sometimes it's every 20 seconds and sometimes every few minutes) X14 will just freeze for a few seconds and then continue. It doesn't matter which view I'm in, 3d views and plan views are all the same. It was doing it in beta so once it went public I made all new templates from the X14 default templates to try to rule that out. Didn't help at all. It happens with a fresh plan, even off of the default templates, so the amount of items in the plan aren't involved.

Everything's up to date, computer is very powerful, but it just doesn't matter. On top of that it just runs slower across the board. Everything feels a bit more delayed than X12 or X13. I have no idea what the developers did differently but my goodness I wish they hadn't done it.

Here's a quick video showing one of the pauses that happens often.

15 hours ago, plannedRITE said:

X14 default templates

Just to be super super clear...are you using "Default Templates" from your Data folder or are you using "default Templates" from your install directory (Program Files in PC)?

21 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Just to be super super clear...are you using "Default Templates" from your Data folder or are you using "default Templates" from your install directory (Program Files in PC)?

Should be the same thing - Unless the User changes the Data Folder Templates - the ones in the Programs Folder as there so Chief will reinstall them to the Data Folder should the need arise.

M.

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Should be the same thing - Unless the User changes the Data Folder Templates - the ones in the Programs Folder as there so Chief will reinstall them to the Data Folder should the need arise.

Just my insurance policy, as I had inadvertently changed my default residential plan template

51 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Data Folder under Documents in Windows. I made a copy of a default template, renamed it as my template, and adjusted it. I scrapped my old template that was carried through old versions of Chief to try to eliminate issues.

Just now, plannedRITE said:

Data Folder under Documents in Windows. I made a copy of a default template, renamed it as my template, and adjusted it. I scrapped my old template that was carried through old versions of Chief to try to eliminate issues.

Just for due diligence, try the one in your program files folder and see if you run into the same problems

On 7/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, Renerabbitt said:

Just for due diligence, try the one in your program files folder and see if you run into the same problems

Sure, there's a chance that could work but I don't have the time to update another template.

However, I turned off auto save and the occasional freezing is gone. So there is absolutely an issue with the autosave feature, as suspected by some other users. X14 continues to be slower than 12 or 13 for me but thankfully it doesn't keep freezing up now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2022 at 3:00 PM, plannedRITE said:

Sure, there's a chance that could work but I don't have the time to update another template.

However, I turned off auto save and the occasional freezing is gone. So there is absolutely an issue with the autosave feature, as suspected by some other users. X14 continues to be slower than 12 or 13 for me but thankfully it doesn't keep freezing up now.

They released a patch for this if you haven't updated yet ....still testing here.... no real info provided though.

chief-architect-x14-update-notes_V4.24.2.2.1.pdf

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/34655-x14-frequent-freezing-anyone-else-having-this-problem/?do=findComment&comment=275131

On 8/12/2022 at 3:46 PM, Kbird1 said:

Oh interesting, thank you. Since the notes didn't specifically callout that they had addressed the autosave issues I didn't think much about it. I had updated but I'll turn auto save back on. Fingers crossed, not all of my guys are diligent with manually saving!

This is a serious issue and it truly started when we were forced to upgrade video cards. X14 is far worse than X13 and I have tried new template directly from X14 (I made new template in X13) I have Nvidia updates, window driver updates ect.... yesterday it Froze up twice and can not reproduce. I agree with maybe anti-virus software or back up software causing issues. I hit save every minute or so,,,, then when it freezes or crashes I reboot and do not sit waiting for it to recover. Still best software for what I do but ChiefArchitect needs to focus on performance and QUIT WORRYING ABOUT PRETTY PICTURES.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Shanek.  I suspect at least part of the problem may be your computer.  I run X 14 on a laptop and a desktop and have not experienced problems anywhere near the severity that you are experiencing.  If can get some diagnostic software chech memory and drives for problems.  Just a suggestion.

Michael makes a good point, although it does sound a little harsh.  You only need to update if you want to use the full potential of real time rendering.  I did, but for a myriad of reasons other than CA, but CA was the straw that pushed me over the decision hump.  Now that I did, I am glad I did.  There were some early memory problems using dd5 and RTX 3080Ti but in the end it was worth it for me.  My new computer is very fast, not just for CA but for AutoCAD as well.  

The problem with being on the bleeding edge is that you might just bleed.  

Just out of curiosity your signature says that have the following system.

Lenovo ThinkStation D30

MS Widows 8/7 pro x64

Intel Xeon E5-2637 v2 @ 3.5GHz

NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2G; Dual Dell 24" Monitors

256GB SATA SSD x 2; 32GB RAM

Chief Versions 2.0 - X11

Is that correct?  

On 8/12/2022 at 3:46 PM, Kbird1 said:

How has your experience been? I updated yesterday and I'm still freezing up for a few seconds while it autosaves. Darn.

Hi All,

So I have been semi quiet after reporting issues with X14 whilst experiencing many of the same issues listed above assuming that it was Operator or Operating Equipment errors. 

Having multiple problems the past couple of days with a new plan file created in X14 as apposed to my previously generated plans in X13. 

Also have had lagging, pausing, 0kb files and most recently a 45 min. load time on my new X14 Plan file.

All is good now and running faster than ever before!

I do not have one single fix as there were multiple things I did to help resolve the issue and figured I would list them here:

1. Manually updated my driver for NVIDIA T1000 which is not ideal but is what I have.

2. Had to Manually tell X14 to run on NVIDIA

3. Adjusted my settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel as such:

a. Adjusted image settings to Performance as apposed to Quality. Not a Gamer.

b. Under Manage 3D settings-Preferred Graphics-Set as NVIDIA processor-scrolled down and Turned Off Vertical sync. Not a Gamer.

c. Under-Set Phsx Configuration-Both Monitors/Quadro T1000.

4. I turned off Auto Sync Save with One Drive.

5. Rebooted Computer.

6. I realized the images imported to the new X14 Plan File were taken at a high resolution so deleted those once I restored the lost progress, of course after waiting another 45 min. for it to load.

7. All is good now and running faster than ever before!

Moral of the story is everything seems to be happy, despite my lack of an GPU upgrade and if any other issues arise from turning One Drive auto save back on I will report further but as of now all smiles! 

Not sure if any of these things are something CA could have done differently but if so...

Hope this helps someone,

J