X-14 Slowness

robdyck

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

On 4/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, robdyck said:

Is anyone else experiencing ridiculously slow response times in X14? Specifically when using a plan created in X13.

Just thought I'd check with others before sending all my plans in to TS.

By comparison, the OOB template plan in X14 is crazy fast.

YES!

i've not compare that....plan created in X13 Vs. new plan in X14.

but yes,  extremely, unbearable response times in X14

All 3 these, Perspective Full, Floor, & Framing Overview tasks, took 7.6 Second switch to Perspective view.

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.17.26 PM.png

15 hours ago, DG1949 said:

Yes, same problem for me. 

10 hours ago, buzzsaw204 said:

YES!

i've not compare that....plan created in X13 Vs. new plan in X14.

but yes,  extremely, unbearable response times in X14

If you can take the time and report this to Tech Support, that might be helpful. I have reported it but I'm not holding my breath for any resolution.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just checking in on this subject too.
Extreme slowness since I upgraded to 14. I am using plans created in 13 so have not tried anything new yet but otherwise I haven't been able to locate anything that helps the problem
Slowness everywhere even just bringing up the properties box and changing something... might as well go read a book after hitting every change.

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, Kbird1 said:

that's very generous of you ...only mildly?  and I have the 1/16th issue as well , along with the text boxes losing one border unless zoomed in.

I am not sure if this is related to an older plan brought forward perhaps or something else......  the blurriness is like the "Performance View" workaround in Layout  for Live Cameras, has now been applied to ALL cameras .... and Update while Idle seems to have no effect not that it should be needed Running a 3080/3080Ti.

* I thought it maybe related to running windows at 125% , but the blurriness is the same at 100%.

*** I see the Chief Team are here again , a downvote for this post ...wow ...

M.

image.thumb.png.1bb15217fcb22ad9367263ea3d9986ab.png image.thumb.png.88447e73c23267c9b48ec011f1aa082f.png 

image.thumb.png.a15170c171a58bdc689c5c626084f6dc.pngimage.thumb.png.2e72abf560d3cb289fd0f152fc54b840.png

I see the missing text block lines occasionally and sometimes the last letter will go to the next line like the old days (not good)....  I say this to confirm your observations....  I am too busy to look into the issue,  my bad

17 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

Just checking in on this subject too.
Extreme slowness since I upgraded to 14. I am using plans created in 13 so have not tried anything new yet but otherwise I haven't been able to locate anything that helps the problem
Slowness everywhere even just bringing up the properties box and changing something... might as well go read a book after hitting every change.

Check your AV Software and make sure it's exempting Chief X14

Check to make sure X14 is using your GPU.  It should have picked it up on the upgrade but sometimes you have to set it manually.

I can't think of anything else that wold cause X14 to be slow.

Yes - auto-rebuild framing creates lag. Auto-rebuild anything for that matter. 

These tips are also relevant:

Work on Files Locally

By far, the most common reason for slowness is working in an unsupported fashion, such as over a network server location, external hard drive, or USB flash drive.
In addition to experiencing slowness working in files, working in this type of unsupported fashion is hazardous because it can lead to file corruption and data loss.

For these reasons, it is critical always to work on files that are saved on your local hard drive. This means that you should copy the file from a network server, external hard drive, or USB flash drive location to your computer's hard drive before opening it in the software. Then, make your changes, save the file, exit the program, and then copy the file back to its network server, external hard drive, or USB flash drive location. 

If you are working on your computer's hard drive, and are still experiencing slowness, then please continue with the information provided in this article.

Check the system requirements. The system requirements for the current version of the software can be located online at: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

• If you primarily notice slowness with regards to 3D Camera views, check to see what video card is in your system. Please see the Locating your Computer's Specifications Knowledge Base article to learn more.

If your video card only just meets the minimum system requirements, then you may want to look into replacing it with a video card that is mentioned in our recommended system requirements.

• Update your video card's driver by following the instructions in the Troubleshooting 3D Camera View Display Problems in Chief Architect Knowledge Base article, then verify that the appropriate card and driver are listed in Chief Architect's Preferences prefs.png?1644009359 under the Video Card Status panel.

• If you are using multiple monitors, make sure that your system's video card fully supports this functionality.

You may experience slowness, particularly with 3D camera views as well as library and dialog previews if the video card is taxed by three or more monitors as well as the rendering. You can test shutting the system down, disconnecting the extra monitors, restarting the system, and then attempt to run Chief Architect on a single screen to see if speed improves.

• If you are looking into purchasing a new system and want to make sure that it offers good performance, please view both our recommended system requirements and our Chief Blog article.

Simplify Fill Styles and Patterns

Avoid using complex fill styles and patterns extensively in your plan and CAD Details.

• If you use a custom Fill Style that requires drawing many tiny lines on the screen, this can substantially slow down working in floor plan view for such tasks as zooming, moving, and placing objects.

Particularly for elements of your design such as the layers of your wall type definitions, roof planes, closed polylines, rooms, and landscaping features, try to avoid the use of many fill patterns.

• Material patterns, such as complex stone or tile patterns, in views which utilize the Vector rendering technique, such as Cross Section/Elevations and Orthographic Overviews, will also slow down the generation of the view as well as actively working in it.

• If you must add these types of detailed CAD elements for hatching and fills to your design, make sure to do so as one of the final steps when your plan is near completion, before creating the layout, and expect to encounter slowness with the file after doing so.

Slowness in 3D Views

• Avoid working with multiple 3D camera views open. Every time you make a change to the plan, the program will redraw the entire model. Depending on the complexity of the design, this may take a long time.

You can see how many view windows are open by selecting the Window menu. Open view windows are listed at the bottom of the menu.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always tried to keep in mind the complexity of the drawing and the other tips listed above when I have used past versions and I continue to do that but there is no question x14 is slower with the same drawings I was doing with 13. I never keep anything set for automatic rebuild so that is not an issue. It definitely has to do with camera views but again, I am doing nothing now that I wasn't doing with x13.

Also another thing that I thought was just a passing thing but have become a persistent problem is occasional freeze ups.
Just working normally and suddenly I can't click on anything or do anything. A couple times I waited maybe 15 minutes and it would start working again but most times i need to go to task manager and shut down the program and hope that there is a automatic backup that is a little newer than my last manual backup.
I am not sure if anyone else is having issues like this.
I hope a future upgrade will help if they are just bugs. The couple projects I have been working on I did not save as x13 versions so I can't go back to 13 with those.
Guess I have learned something there too.
Maybe x14 requires a machine upgrade...

On 6/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, MN_JohnH said:

Also another thing that I thought was just a passing thing but have become a persistent problem is occasional freeze ups.
Just working normally and suddenly I can't click on anything or do anything. A couple times I waited maybe 15 minutes and it would start working again but most times i need to go to task manager and shut down the program and hope that there is a automatic backup that is a little newer than my last manual backup.
I am not sure if anyone else is having issues like this

Yes I have this Issue too, it was worse in X13 though and happening less in X14, but that maybe related to slowly leaving X12 and X13 projects behind, as it seem to happen mostly with Plans brought forward from earlier Versions.

Personally I have diagnosed it as as SAVE issue .....either a manual Save or an Auto Save or Archive save can Trigger it too , when it locks up next time, if you check the Archives Folder or the Client's Folder you will likely see that the File size is 0KB . For me this can last from 3 - 12mins or sometimes longer but has also caused full crashes, where eventually I have to force close the program, which sometimes caused corrupted Plans which will not open again, losing any work done in them.

Mick

oooo.JPG

ooooo.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Solution
On 6/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, Kbird1 said:

The Blurriness was the 1st thing I noticed in Beta and commented here, but there didn't seemed to be many me too comments at the time,

but I know it's not the monitor(s)  as I now have new IPS LG's as of last week, or my eyesight even though I wear glasses , cos no other program has the Issue.

M.

The blurriness and visual appearance of misalignment on my computer was caused by my Display custom scale factor of 110%. After resetting it, those issues are gone. And I now have to cut a notch into the front of my desk to see the UI text. Sadly, the custom scale factor actually made standard text look more like rich text (which after the reset, is not the case).

CUSTOM SCALE FACTOR 110%747763805_selectionfilloff.thumb.jpg.007263ced78be00c5b42e10a808133e6.jpg

NO CUSTOM SCALE FACTOR    image.thumb.png.baee56889ec28dcff4e5f63bd2a884fe.png

It's early but it appears as though the general slowness was caused by the display custom scale factor. The 'blurriness' is gone and so is the lag.

On my machine, Chief X-14 is now rocking like expected!! Kudos to TS!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It's early but it appears as though the general slowness was caused by the display custom scale factor. The 'blurriness' is gone and so is the lag.

On my machine, Chief X-14 is now rocking like expected!! Kudos to TS!

Wow, Robert that is really good news. Glad you all got it figured out.

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

The blurriness and visual appearance of misalignment on my computer was caused by my Display custom scale factor of 110%. After resetting it, those issues are gone. And I now have to cut a notch into the front of my desk to see the UI text. Sadly, the custom scale factor actually made standard text look more like rich text (which after the reset, is not the case).

CUSTOM SCALE FACTOR 110%747763805_selectionfilloff.thumb.jpg.007263ced78be00c5b42e10a808133e6.jpg

NO CUSTOM SCALE FACTOR    image.thumb.png.baee56889ec28dcff4e5f63bd2a884fe.png

Hmmmm, I wonder if last weeks MSoft update had anything to do with this?  as I run at 125% and going back to 100% did not change the blurriness for me ...at least when I originally posted that , which means this IS a Chief Issue , as it is not handling Windows Scaling properly obviously.    ( No doubt that comment will earn me another Red Smartie from the "team" .......Yep that wasn't to hard to figure out was it )

Mick.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes!

We are noticing that some PCs that work fine with X13 are having major issues with X14.  Slow to load library on start up, crashing, freezing etc.  We think part of the issue is our Antivirus software (just switched to McAfee - which has been known to cause issues in past version of Chief Architect).  We are experimenting with turning off the time tracker to see if it keeps the program from freezing when the time tracker dialog idle kicks open.

Warning to those who change their display scale factor: Be prepared to redo every rich text box in every file that you open. It'll also affect rich text used in CAD blocks.

I don't know what the problem is with Chief and the size of rich text or standard text. This has to end at some point. 

New versions seem to be released with this little gift for their customers...different sized text boxes and text that won't hold it's size regardless of display scale factor.

There's no way I'm the only one who has to adjust existing text from previous plans or cad blocks now that I'm using X14. What does everyone else do? 

The long and short of it is...pick your poison!

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

Warning to those who change their display scale factor: Be prepared to redo every rich text box in every file that you open. It'll also affect rich text used in CAD blocks.

I don't know what the problem is with Chief and the size of rich text or standard text. This has to end at some point. 

New versions seem to be released with this little gift for their customers...different sized text boxes and text that won't hold it's size regardless of display scale factor.

There's no way I'm the only one who has to adjust existing text from previous plans or cad blocks now that I'm using X14. What does everyone else do? 

yeah....  I know what you are saying....  I just fix it and move on.  Very frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, dshall said:

I just fix it and move on.  Very frustrating.

I'm gonna down vote you for that negative comment admitting your frustration. Clearly you have problems! You should smile and order a gift basket for Chief's staff. 

I couldn't get away with delivering that kind of stuff to my customers. I'd suggest that new versions should either be free...or much more expensive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Not sure about every Text Block but it is definitely and Issue...........

X13 Client Detail..........                                                                                        Copied into a new X14 based Template..............

image.thumb.png.28cfb7a23f1bbc5b93c142a5034666cd.png      image.thumb.png.0eb23b6156f5060ad992714c7c3d6e0c.png

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

This is the reason I rarely use RT except in my Layout Templates for Title Blocks, etc.

By using Standard Text and careful definition of Text Styles for various layers in scale specific Layersets I don't get any of these problems.  All I have to do is make sure I'm using the correct Layerset.

5 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

By using Standard Text and careful definition of Text Styles

Many of my Standard Text boxes are being resized which throws off the alignment of various tables. This was the case in X14 before I adjusted the display scale factor.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, Kbird1 said:

Personally I have diagnosed it as as SAVE issue .....either a manual Save or an Auto Save or Archive save can Trigger it too , when it locks up next time, if you check the Archives Folder or the Client's Folder you will likely see that the File size is 0KB . 

oooo.JPG

ooooo.JPG

Worked on a new Plan yesterday using new X14 Templates I made and all was well in regards to the Save Lockup BUG/Issue

today back in a Plan started in X13 theClient has decided to move foward on and the Save Lockup BUG/Issue is back........

Note the Zero Okb file size during the lockup.......

image.thumb.png.4eadd17c6f6568de05094ae5175815cc.pngimage.thumb.png.9df11972b05fda693dd34974b2f1545c.png

Mick.

Yep, the slowness has been very annoying. Frequently (how frequent varies, sometimes it's every 20 seconds and sometimes every few minutes) X14 will just freeze for a few seconds and then continue. It doesn't matter which view I'm in, 3d views and plan views are all the same. It was doing it in beta so once it went public I made all new templates from the X14 default templates to try to rule that out. Didn't help at all. It happens with a fresh plan, even off of the default templates, so the amount of items in the plan aren't involved.

Everything's up to date, computer is very powerful, but it just doesn't matter. On top of that it just runs slower across the board. Everything feels a bit more delayed than X12 or X13. I have no idea what the developers did differently but my goodness I wish they hadn't done it.

Here's a quick video showing one of the pauses that happens often.